D430 Networking

jrp7591

First off my kudos to OSXLATITUDE. Followed the instructions and installed OSX Lion on my D430 without a hitch. My problem is with the networking (it doesn’t look like I’m alone in this area). It looks like the D430’s either came with the Broadcom wireless card or the Intel 3945/4965AGN wireless card (mine has the 4965 Intel card). The install supports the Broadcom cards but not the Intel cards and in all my googling I cannot find a kext/installer to support the Intel card. Another weird thing is that my Ethernet card is listed as a Bluetooth PAN device although it works. And the last thing is, every time I start up, the Bluetooth Assistant starts up looking for a Bluetooth Keyboard/Device. I realize I can just turn off the Bluetooth and the Ethernet Bluetooth PAN listing is just cosmetic but without wireless it’s dead. Would be willing to buy a Broadcom wireless card if you could suggest a wireless “N†one that would work (better yet, a kext to get the 4965 working).I have attached a screenshot of my networking.

Any input would be appreciated

Network D430 Lion.tiff

Intel cards are no go - you need to replace with a Broadcom one (only G's no N cards). Apparently all development on Intel cards for 10.6 / 10.7 (official or community) stopped a while a go with no positive results.

The post below should help - info on kext and process to apply once you have swapped the card (and the Ethernet/bluetooth PAN is an odd one, I have the same (none) issue as you on a D620 Lion install):

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/256-how-to-install-lion-on-d620/page__view__findpost__p__8050

Link to a UK seller of cheapest card that will work - don't but them all as I might need one for a D430 on its way to me :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Inspiron-1525-DW-1395-WiFi-Card-/180734485477?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item2a149d63e5#ht_2034wt_1325

As for the bluetooth assistant - I'm sure I had this issue a while back and their was an option to disable search for BT KB and Mouse......ahh yes this was the fix here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1020-dell-latitude-e6510-boot-up-and-system-issues/page__view__findpost__p__6949

Cheers

Thank you sipart! I ordered the 1395 Broadcom card today. What the heck, $10.00 US to breathe new life into a D430 I’ve had laying around is well worth it. Should have it this week. Will do the kext install as soon as I get the card. Worst case scenario is I will just install OSX again with the Broadcom card installed.

The Bluetooth Assistant starting every time at start up was nothing more than changing the preferences in the Bluetooth preferences pane not to start scanning for Bluetooth keyboard/mouse at startup (as per the link you provided).

As far as the Ethernet being listed as a Bluetooth PAN device…….. Hey, Ethernet works!

Thanks again! I’ll let you know how the 1395 card install goes this week. Once I have that installed and working, branding the BIOS and Broadcom card comes next :)

No worries. No need to brand the card if you don't want to it works as a generic card.

By the way - how do you find D430 performance with Lion? Whats the boot time like (from cold to usable desktop)?

Thank you sipart! I ordered the 1395 Broadcom card today. What the heck, $10.00 US to breathe new life into a D430 I’ve had laying around is well worth it. Should have it this week. Will do the kext install as soon as I get the card. Worst case scenario is I will just install OSX again with the Broadcom card installed.

The Bluetooth Assistant starting every time at start up was nothing more than changing the preferences in the Bluetooth preferences pane not to start scanning for Bluetooth keyboard/mouse at startup (as per the link you provided).

As far as the Ethernet being listed as a Bluetooth PAN device…….. Hey, Ethernet works!

Thanks again! I’ll let you know how the 1395 card install goes this week. Once I have that installed and working, branding the BIOS and Broadcom card comes next :)

Looking forward to see the result! I installed lion on D430. The only thing not working and really matters is wifi. I got dw1395 card

The boot time is about 2min. Mine laptop is U7700 with slow 60Gb hard drive and 2Gb ram. If using newer hard drive, Can assume it'll shorter than 2min.

Well I got my DW1395 card and installed it. Installed the IO80211Family.kext and still no go. I tried some other kext files and finally got the "Kernel Panic" at startup so I just reinstalled OSX Lion again so I'm back with a clean install of OSX Lion. After doing some more searching it looks like there are many different versions of the DW1395 card. My DW1395 card is Device ID 4324. It also looks like all of the DW1395 cards have the same Vendor ID 14e4 (Broadcom). I think all I need to do is install a kext file for a Broadcom 43xx card (14e4) then edit the kext file replacing the 43xx Device ID string with mine 4324. I'm just not sure what kext file to use and exactly how to edit it. That's where I'm at.

The "Bluetooth PAN' was an easy fix. There is a "Gear" icon towards the bottom of the "Network Preferences" pane that allows you to rename the sevice to what ever you like so I renamed it to Ethernet.

My boot time is about 1:45 seconds. My D430 is 1.33Ghz with 2Gig of RAM

I've attached my device list and kext list

Thanks in advance.

Devices.tiff

Kext.tiff

Don't see that you have any kext's loaded for your card, these are mine that are anything network related:

43 4 0x1381000 0x25000 0x24000 com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily (2.0)

44 1 0x17ab000 0x2c000 0x2b000 com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family (320.1)

45 0 0x17d7000 0x1e9000 0x1e8000 com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx (423.91.27)

46 0 0x22cf000 0x18000 0x17000 com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5751Ethernet (2.1.0d21)

At the bottom of the post I directed to you before (https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/256-how-to-install-lion-on-d620/page__view__findpost__p__8050) it mentions the editing of a plist - but to be honest that didn't work for me but perhaps worth trying it - the solution you have tried at the top of my post is what worked for me.

Perhaps it's worth running the kext helper again using the IO80211Family.kext now you have a fresh install?

SUCCESS!

Installed the IO80211Family kext file and my WiFi card is now detected and works! Kinda strange that the IO80211Family.kext is not listed in sys info like it is in yours sipart but WiFi is working (attached my current kext list). I have had a couple Kernel Panic's which I have been able to fix with the -f -v startup options. Going to test it awhile before I post again.

How is the stability and performance of yours? Anybody else with stability and performance issues?

Thanks!

SUCCESS!

Installed the IO80211Family kext file and my WiFi card is now detected and works! Kinda strange that the IO80211Family.kext is not listed in sys info like it is in yours sipart but WiFi is working (attached my current kext list). I have had a couple Kernel Panic's which I have been able to fix with the -f -v startup options. Going to test it awhile before I post again.

How is the stability and performance of yours? Anybody else with stability and performance issues?

Thanks!

Great - glad you got it working :-)

In the first week I had a couple of kernel panics - but seemed to settle down. From cold my D620 (my only hackintosh at the moment) sometimes freezes occasionally - but a power off and on cures that (I think I have read this can and will happen on osxlatitudes).

I haven't got a broadcom card for my D430 yet so can't comment on performance on D430's at the moment.

Cheers

SUCCESS!

Thanks!

There are different versions of IO80211Family kext. Which one will work with D430 Lion DW1395? My copy of IO80211Family kext is not working... Could you please let me know where to get your IO80211Family kext ?

Thanks

Well, thanks sipart's instruction. I got the right IO80211Family kext and made my wifi work on D430 DW1395.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1337-d430-kernel-panic-on-lion-install/page__view__findpost__p__9018