Installing From Retail DVD

markcr

Hi. I have a D630 that I'd like to install Snow Leopard on. The only thing I don't have is an existing mac with Snow Leopard on it. If I did, I wouldn't need to build a hackintoch. :-) The Wiki lists these requirements:

Requirements:

* 8gb USB Pen

* A Mac with OSX 10.6 or newer (**this is my question**)

* A bootpack for your machine

* myHack (Download links in the bottom)

* A Snow Leopard (SL) 10.6 or 10.6.3 DMG file _OR_ a Lion/Mountain Lion Install image from appstore

Is there a way I can build my hackintosh with a purchased Snow Leopard retail DVD without needing an additional Mac?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Hi mark,

You can create a chameleon boot cd. The only thing left is to find a way to open dmg from either windows or linux in order to transfer the necessary files to the usb. So far, i've yet to find a way to open dmg from either windows or linux as the dmg files is encrypted.

Cheers!

• Administrators

A fairly easy way is to use Nawcom ModCD to boot the D630 from, then swap it with Retail SL DVD. This allows to install SL on the Hard Drive, albeit not a fully clean installation. SL will get installed but you will need to reboot with your D630 connected to an external screen before built-in LCD can be used. This requires to be on the original Dell BIOS.

This method has the merit to allow to use the Disc Utility to make an image of the DVD, image that can subsequently be use to create a USB key with OS X Retail version.