Lion or SL?

sipart

Hi all. Thanks to osxlatitude's influence I have 3 Dell D series now - and very happy I am to :-)

I have a D620 with Lion. A D630 still with XP (but going to Lion soon). And a D430 I received today currently running XP.

I'm waiting for a Broadcom card for the D430 and will then be ready for OSX - but I'm a bit concerned about the ability of the D430 (1.2ghz Core2Duo + 2gb RAM) to run Lion well - should I be? Or should I go SL - or no real difference performance wise?

Only issues I have with OSX on the Dell Latitudes is the cold boot time but that disadvantage over Windows is minimal in reality.

Any comments welcome.

Do other OSX Latitude members feel that having cold boot time benchmarks would be useful/interesting?

Cold boot benchmarks? Hmm. Nahhh :) Unless you have a SSD, it wouldn't really be interesting (cause we both know it's slow as hell anyway :rolleyes: ). Performance wise it's been said (by Leon) there are huge differences, but once upon a time he was working at a script to get that fixed. Not sure if there's an ETA, or if he can post a generic howto or link.

I'm a SL 'lover' myself. Don't really see a need to upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes your probably right - cold boot times are not that interesting unless someones doing something to make it quicker and we want to see the improvement.

I went for Lion in the end and to be perfectly honest I can't see any real performance issue. I launch a browser, a terminal window, watch a bit of YouTube and that's about it - the D430's hardly a power house for gaming and video production anyway so what else would you do.

I do use sleep and that circumnavigates cold booting anyway (apart from the odd occasion when the screen's dim so I need to reboot).

I have a D620 with Lion. A D630 still with XP (but going to Lion soon). And a D430 I received today currently running XP.

Do other OSX Latitude members feel that having cold boot time benchmarks would be useful/interesting?

About 1' 45'' cold booting time for my D430 U7700 Lion. It's interesting battery last longer with Lion than SL.

What kind of D630 do you have? I have a 7500 with 1440x900 intel graphic. Like to get Lion on it. But cannot get the usb pen correctly.

Hey guys, I'm in a similar situation. I've got a number of Dells that I use myself and have set up for family members and friends who have been Windows users up till now. Everybody's happy and troubleshooting for them is relatively easy and is not needed very often.

I have a D430 U7700 with an SSD drive and the big battery with the wrist rest, which I love. Great battery time, too; 4+ hours under normal conditions. Running 10.6.8.

I also have a D620 with beautiful 1440 x 900 screen that I love to use for writing, translating and watching movies on the road. Installed 10.6.8 and it was super easy. Both Dells run great.

I've installed Snow Leo and the usual Mac apps on a couple of other D430's and D420's, and they run great.

I'm currently having some issues with a D630 Intel graphics with 1440 x 900, trying to install Lion. I've now got it installed, but haven't updated and haven't run EDP. I previously installed Lion but got kernel panics when trying to install EDP 2.2. I've added kexts manually to get 1440 x 900 resolution, keyboard and trackpad (though not Trackpad pref pane), and Apple battery. I have right edge trackpad scrolling which works really well, I have to say.

No sound, even though I've tried the VoodooHDA kexts and suggested fixes you can find online. e.g. they guy (forget his name) who has the Voodoo Launcher to avoid KPs on boot. The D630 looks fantastic with Lion on that 1440 x 900 screen, but I still have some work to do. Will install a DW1395 wifi card the next few days. The D630 really is a PITA compared to the D620, on which Snow Leo installs fast and easily, and runs great.

Any tips on Sound under Lion, with the D630 Intel graphics? Which trackpad pref pane is best?

P.S. re. DONATIONS. Didn't there use to be where you could make a Paypal donation to the site? I'd like to do so, as you guys are doing a fantastic job and have helped me out on so many occasions.