Catalina on an ASUS Zenbook Q526FA-BI7T10

WhiteDragon

Laptop: ASUS Zenbook Q526FA-BI7T10

CPU: i7-8565U @ 1.8GHz

GPU: HDU 620

RAM: 16GB

Drives: 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD

DISCLAIMER:

This was my first hackintosh, so I am still in the process of learning how to do this better. I am certain that this is not the most efficient path to getting this laptop to work. I have probably used some redundant and unnecessary settings, patches, and files, but I got it working pretty well and I am not trying to perfect the process of creating a hackintosh (not on this one at least).

During the install, I tried to track every change and experiment, but the changes were incremental, so the configurations described below are what got me fully through the install process.

Also, when I was near the end of the install, I initially mistook the reboots as a problem and did not realize at the time that it was just a part of a successful install. I made a change to the Clover boot args (removed cpus=1) after I got to the point where the MacOS install dialogs were successfully coming up and that got me past the final stages of the install.

During the post install, I did not track my changes and experiments as well as I did on the install, but I believe I have captured all of the essentials in this post.

Install Files

I have provided the ACPI, drivers, kext, and config.plist files of 3 Clover EFIs:
(1)  My initial one that got me to the install dialog where I could format the destination drive and continue with the install.

(2)  The one I used to get from the install dialog to the installed MacOS.

(3)  The final version I currently use with the trackpad and other features working.

It is entirely possible that the 3rd configuration will work for the whole process.

On a Mac system (I used my 2017 MacBook Pro)

- Enter MacOS recovery and disable System Integrity Protection:

csrutil disable

- With a 16GB+ flash drive, create an MBR FAT32 partition and an HFS+J partition in a terminal as follows:

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk# 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 200Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R

Note: disk# is the flash drive disk as listed by “diskutil list”

- Install Clover in the CLOVER EFI partition. I used Clover version 5102.

- Install the Catalina install on the install_osx partition:

sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume  /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction

- Replace config.plist in Clover with RehabMan’s config.plist for HD 620, … (config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist). Make sure it is named “config.plist”…

- Put the following kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ (to be certain you are using the latest versions do not use any that came with Clover):

Lilu.kext

FakeSMC.kext

USBInjectAll.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext (from RehabMan)

VoodooTSCSync.kext (Use VoodooTSCSync Configurator to configure for 4 cores)

WhateverGreen.kext

- Put the following kexts in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched:

SSDT-USBX.aml

SSDT-EC.aml

- Put the following drivers in EFI/CLOVER/drovers/UEFI:

ApfsDriverLoader.efi

AptioInputFix.efi

DataHubDxe.efi

FSInject.efi

HFSPlus.efi

OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

SMCHelper.efi

- Using Clover Configurator, do the following on config.plist:

Acpi:

Apply an ACPI Patch:

Find: A00A9353 54415301

Replace: A00A910A FF0BFFFF

Select FixIntelGfx

Boot Args:

Dart=0

nv_disable=1

-cdfon

lilucpu=8

cpus=1 (Note: Herve suggested that I use the Kernel LAPIC patch -- I will definitely look into that for my future hackintosh projects!)

-v

Devices:

Delete Arbitrary entries

Delete Added Properties entries

Set IntelGfx Fake ID: 59178086

Graphics:

Set ig-platform-id: 59178086

Select Inject Intel

SMBIOS:

Product Model: MacBookPro14,3

On the ASUS

Go to the BIOS setup and do the following:

- Disable Fast Boot in BIOS

- Disable Secure Boot in BIOS

- Plug in a USB Mouse

- Hold Esc while starting ASUS and choose USB for boot

- In Clover: Boot from install_osx

- Use diskutil to reformat the DATA disk as APFS and name the disk OSX.

- Install MacOS to OSX as follows (this is tricky!):

I am certain I did NOT do this efficiently, but this is what I did to complete the install: 

- Per my instructions above, you started with the cpus=1 boot arg. You may need to delete the cpus=1 boot arg if you have reached the MacOS install dialogs, but are not successfully getting through the install process.

- When the ASUS reboots during the install, keep retrying until you see an OSX boot drive choice in Clover.

- When you see the OSX boot drive choice in Clover, continue the install from the OSX boot drive.

- If the install does not complete, then I found that choosing the install_osx boot drive and going through a few extra install steps before booting from OSX did not cause any regression in the progress.

After the install, go through the MacOS set up dialogs like you would on any Mac system.

Post Install

The post install is complex. I will just explain what I generally did and the various files I used. I have provided my current Clover EFI.

Use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition from OSX drive.

Merge the EFI from your flash boot drive into the OSX EFI folder.

I used Hackintool I labeled all of the USB ports as "internal" and exported USBPorts.kext, SSDT-UIAC.aml, and SSDT-USBX.aml

Although it has been advised that I should label all of the USB ports as "internal", all of the USB ports have been functioning fine

and it has been the only way I could get sleep working properly. I will try other things later, if I experience any USB issues.

Using MacIASL, iasl, and patchmatic, I did several patches on the DSDT:

[Windows] Windows 10 Patch

[kbl] WhiskeyLake

GPIO pinning for the trackpad (device ETPD, GPIO pin # x6D) and touchscreen (device TPL0, GPIO pin # x72).

Configure Clover as follows:

EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched:

DSDT.aml

SSDT-EC.aml

SSDT-GPIO.aml

SSDT-PNLFCFL.aml

SSDT-UIAC.aml

SSDT-USBX.aml

SSDT-XOSI.aml

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/:

AppleALC.kext

AsusSMC.kext

Lilu.kext

SMCBatteryManager.kext

SMCLightSensor.kext

SMCProcessor.kext

SMCSuperIO.kext

USBPorts.kext

VirtualSMC.kext

VoodooI2C.kext

VoodooI2CHID.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooTSCSync.kext

WhateverGreen.kext

EFI/CLOVER/drovers/UEFI:

ApfsDriverLoader.efi

AptioInputFix.efi

DataHubDxe.efi

FSInject.efi

HFSPlus.efi

OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

Using Clover Configurator, make these changes to the config.plist used for the install:

Acpi:

Keep/Apply this ACPI Patch (it should already be in the install config.plist):

Find: A00A9353 54415301

Replace: A00A910A FF0BFFFF

(credit RehabMan)

Enable the following patches:

change OSID to XSID (to avoid match against _OSI XOSI patch)

change _OSI to XOSI

Select Generate PStates

Select Generate CStates

Boot Args:

Dart=0

nv_disable=1

-cdfon

lilucpu=8

alcid=21

igfxcflbklt=1

Devices:

Set IntelGfx Fake ID: 0x0

In Properties:

Device: PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)

AAPL,ig-platform-id  0900A53E DATA

device-id                      A53E0000 DATA

Graphics:

Set ig-platform-id: 0x0

Unselect Inject Intel

Kernel and Kext Patches:

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleIntelLpssI2C  

Find [Hex]: 494F4B69 74

Replace [Hex]: 494F4B69 73

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleIntelLpssI2CController

Find [Hex]: 494F4B69 74

Replace [Hex]: 494F4B69 73

Note: The last two patches prevents Apple I2C kexts from attaching to I2C controllers, credit CoolStar

Configure VoodooI2C for the touchpad (FTE 1200):

SSDT-XOS.aml

SSDT-GPIO.aml

Device ETPD, GPIO pin #: x6D

Configure VoodooI2C for the touchscreen (ELAN 9008):

Device TPL0, GPIO pin #: x72

Note: Gestures and cursor follow work. “Click” does not work.

This “guide” is not perfect, but I hope it helps!

I am going to start on a Dell Latitude E7270 i7-6600U in about a week.

Cheers!

20200409_223335.jpg

20200409_223141.jpg

CLOVER post install.zip CLOVER for completing install from OSX.zip CLOVER for Initial Install.zip

• Administrators

Rather than boot option cpus=1, you should probably use Kernel LAPIC patch. You also forgot to add the specs of this laptop. It's kind of essential to ensure interested parties understand what this guide applies to. Refer to existing guides on that matter.

Once you've adjusted your post, we'll move it to the Guides section.

Oh and I'm sure you can remove the statement about you not knowing what you're doing. It's hardly the right introduction for a guide, don't you think ? Same applies to the mirror guide you posted at IM.

Re: Latitude E7270, Jake Lo already posted very thorough guides so it's all covered on that front...

Thanks for replying, Herve!

I was trying to be humble on the "not knowing what I'm doing" part. I will modify my post to address.

The specs of this laptop are very well defined and easy to look up, so I thought the exact model was adequate, but I will definitely oblige.

Since I am not going to attempt the Kernel LAPIC patch on this particular laptop, I will not change the "cpus=1" boot arg at this time.

Clarification: I was not going to change the "cpus=1" boot arg in my original post because it is already a working system and I already eliminated that arg later in the install and in the post install. Is there a reason to use this patch on my working system?

I will definitely take advantage of Jake Lo's guide when I start on the Latitude E7270.

Cheers!