Precision m6400

kmisterk

I'd like to get osx up on this laptop. It's a beauuuuutiful piece of hardware, but I can't get the retail method to work. It freezes where it mentions something about PCI.

I've tried a whole slew of different boot flags and bios configurations.

Nothing seems to work. it gets stuck every time at exactly the same spot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to get osx up on this laptop. It's a beauuuuutiful piece of hardware, but I can't get the retail method to work. It freezes where it mentions something about PCI.

I've tried a whole slew of different boot flags and bios configurations.

Nothing seems to work. it gets stuck every time at exactly the same spot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't bother with this. You'll not get too far; no QE/CI. It's because of the HD4500M video, no support (kext).

• Administrators

'looks like you'd be the 1st one here to have that machine under OS X as there's been no word from original user since his initial post. One can only assume he gave up. It would have helped if he provided the whole list of specs...

I may actually stick with the m6400. So I thought I'd post some basic specs and try and get more detailed as a research prior to purchase. The e6400 that I currently have runs ML so amazingly I'm not sure I'll even need the power of the i7.

Processor Support Intel Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition, Core 2 Duo Quad Core Extreme Edition Chipset Intel Q43 RAM Size Up to 16GB RAM Type 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM Slots 4

HDD Capacity 80GB to 500GB - 5400RPM 
80GB to 320GB - 7200RPM 
64GB to 128GB - SSD HDD Type SATA HDD Bays 2 HDD Size 2.5" Optical Drive DVD-ROM 
DVD-ROM/CD-RW 
DVD+-RW

Screen 17" WXGA+ or WUXGA Widescreen Graphics Controller NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M 
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M 
AMD ATI FirePro M7740 Graphics Memory 512MB - 2700M 
1GB - 3700M 
1GB - M7740 Graphics Memory Type Dedicated VGA Out Port Yes DVI Out Port No HDMI Out Port No DisplayPort Yes TV Out Port No Touch Screen

Ethernet Port 10/100/1000 Ethernet Wireless Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Mini-Card 
Dell Wireless 1510 802.11 a/g/n 2x3 Mini-Card 
Intel Wireless 5100 802.11a/g/n 1x2 Mini-Card 
Intel Wireless 5300 802.11a/g/n 3x3 Mini-Card Bluetooth Optional WWAN Optional Ultra WideBand Optional Modem No

Nichod, Did you use MyHack to install OSx on this? I'm looking at an M6500 (i7) and considering this as an upgrade to my E6500. Just wondering if you ever went with the M6500 and if there were any issues with install (on either/both)?