[Solved] Dell 7490: Mojave installation

Tubardus

Hello!

After some major problems with Catalina, I wanted to go back to Mojave. I tried to follow Herve's guide. I created a bootable key with the exact specifications (clover pack #8), using clover Bootloader r4919 and the same clover configurator. Also, I downloaded the first version 10.14 to be as close as possible to the guide. I checked also the BIOS setup.

Clover main menu shows up. Then I enable "verbose" and start the installation. After a lot of lines, the computer gives me the mouse cursor, that I can move with a plugged mouse. But just after, it shows the Apple logo and freeze. No more info...

I tried with two different USB keys and same result. I tried also a more recent version of clover Bootloader (r5108). Same result. Does someone have a idea?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Which BIOS version do you run? You may want to update to latest if you run on an old one.

Are your 7490 hardware specs identical or close to mine's?

I know the patched DSDT I posted/included in the pack has given trouble to some people in the past so you may want to remove it to begin with or, at Clover main menu, go to Options->ACPI patching and select BIOS.aml rather than DSDT.aml for the DSDT (that effectively bypasses the patched DSDT to call on the BIOS native table).

Thanks for your quick reply!

My BIOS version is 1.11.0. I remember updating it.

My hardware are almost identical. The screen has a lower definition and it's a i5 8th gen. My wifi card is a 1820A compatible.

I just tried your solution by selecting BIOS.aml. Unfortunately, same result.

• Administrators

How long did you wait when you get the Apple logo on screen? It can take a couple of mins or more to complete and reach the macOS language menu before the main installation screen.

Re: Catalina 10.15.4, bear in mind the following requirements:

• Clover r5107
  • latest Lilu + WEG + AppleALC
  • probably need to boot with -disablegfxfirmware boot options (I had to use that to complete my 10.15.4 update)

rest of the installation process is unchanged.

Out of interest, how do you build your USB installer?

I build it by quoting in the terminal sudo, then I drag createinstallmedia in the terminal, then --volume /Volumes/USBkey. Then password and I wait.

It tried Catalina 10.15.4 with Clover r5107, Lilu 1.4.3, WEG 1.3.8 and AppleALC 1.4.8. The latest a founded.

Error message : External LPO is not available...

I changed USB port to do the installation. Now I'm getting the same image as before. Stuck at Apple logo not moving. I usually let 5 minutes. I will let more this time.

Can you please be more specific on how to set -disablegfxfirmware boot option?

• Administrators

It's a boot parameter you specify in Options->Boot Args menu at Clover main screen. Press [ENTER] on the Boot Args field and type the parameter in (caution, keyboard will probably be in QWERTY mode at that stage).