Advises needed (kext, BT and earphones)

Tubardus

Hello,

Thanks to @Hervé, I understand more about what I'm doing. Nevertheless I first have some questions. In order to remove a kext from L/E, do you recommend to use the terminal with the command sudo "rm -rf /Library/Extensions/*.kext" or can I just drag the unwanted kext to the trash (and reboot)?

Also, my BT is not recognised. The wifi card is perfectly working, but in the report system, no BT card is shown. I first thought it was because I didn't cache brcmfirmwareRepo and brcmpatchRam2 in L/E as @Hervé explained. But when I did it, the computer booted very slowly and wifi was lost. This is why I removed those two kexts. Also, I downloaded those kext from https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-brcmpatchram/downloads/ and I found them quite "old" (2018). I also heard that I may need to use brcmpatchRam3 instead of brcmpatchRam2 due to the version of macOS. What do you think I should do?

Also, earphones give me a wind noise. I think I should try different version of AppleALC with different layout-id to correct that.

Thanks

• Administrators

No need to use the rm command to delete kexts from /L/E. But I recommend you cache kexts from /L/E rather than inject them from Clover's folder. Caching kexts is the natural mode of operation.

Re: headphones noise, make sure you cache CodecCommander kext from /L/E (that one just won't inject).

For BT, there's a pinned thread here where you'll find kexts that worked for my DW1820a. I don't use BT much but handoff certainly works between my iPhone and my 7490 with those kexts. In Catalina, you need to use the BT injector kext too, not just the Data/Repo + PatchRAM kexts.

Hello Tubardus

u reminded me when i started trying to do my 7490, u r running into same problem i had 6 month ago trying to built my 7490. in a short answer. use a DW1560 WIFI and never touch any DW1820A. this been said many time here or other place. i didn't believe not to use DW1820A and i end up having all the 4 version and i still wasn't able to get it working. with all the money and time i really wish i have listened and use a card that work out of the box

i m almost sure there are atleast 2 diff type of motherboard. took me almost 2 week to get my 1st boot going. and the problem was only 1 out of the 3 USB will boot the installation USB. i think we have the same type of motherboard =D

@micgo you are probably right about the 2 different types of motherboard. Like you, I had to choose carefully on which USB port I plug the installation key since the two others didn't worked.

On the DW1820A side, I am now using both wifi and bluetooth for the last 5 hours without any problem! For the BT, the combo of kext given here is fully operational. This proves that it can work! I think that almost any problem has its solution. In this case, @Hervé provided several solutions to fix this issue. All my problems where due to the fact that I wasn't following correctly the instructions.

@Hervé, as soon as I see that the kexts are working with injection, I cache all kexts in L/E and set "inject kexts" to "detect. I did it for CodecCommander kext. Compared to all the problems already solved, this one is not very important. Thanks again!

While I'm here, I wondered what "disablegfxfirmware" is good for? What does this line fix and is it safe to remove it from config.plist?

Also, the BT module is again making some problems. It seems that caching BrcmRepo in S/L/E with BrcmPatchRam2 in L/E is the worst solution (lost wifi and BT). The best I can get is when I cache BrcmPatchRam2 with BrcmFirmwareData in L/E. The presence of BrcmBluetoothInjector makes no difference. Furthermore, it is said here that you can't use BrcmBluetoothInjector and BrcmPatchRam2 BrcmFirmwareData or at the same time.

I think something can be done from config.plist to build a more stable and working BT but I don't know what. Another possibility is to install brcmpatchRam3, no?

• Administrators

the disablegfxfirmware parameter is only to be used if there is an issue during installation or update to 10.15.4. Once 10.15.4 is running, there is no need for it.

For Catalina, you're supposed to use PatchRam3, yes.

Unfortunately PatchRam3 didn't do the job. Now I have removed all Brcm kexts and of course BT is not available but I can see it in system info!

BCM2045A0 :

Identifiant du produit : 0x6412

Identifiant du fournisseur : 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.)

Version : 1.12

Numéro de série : 3052CBE79732

Vitesse : Jusqu’à 12 Mb/s

Fabricant : Broadcom Corp

Identifiant de l’emplacement : 0x14700000 / 2

Courant disponible (mA) : 500

Exploitation supplémentaire actuelle (mA) : 0

Intégré : Oui

Also, I don't understand why when I first installed the kexts you mentioned in your previous post, it worked fine until I rebooted. Mystery...

According to this blog https://blog.daliansky.net/DW1820A_BCM94350ZAE-driver-inserts-the-correct-posture.html,   maybe I can change "4353" by "4331" in the config.plist?

Nothing useful I guess...

It's so frustrating! I have in version 2.5.2 (latest in date) BluetoothInjector, Data and patchRam in L/E and the BT model is detected but unable to work properly. It seems so close to a normal behavior that I think only small changes are needed but I don't find where. Do you think I have to test all versions of those kext?

Maybe I will have to custom a little the kexts? 

I also noticed that whiteout brcmfx-country=#a, and only the kext (version 2.5.0 or 2.5.2), the BT is not available. With this boot-argument, I can have handoff but other devices won't work. (I tried other codes FR, US, HK etc., no difference)

Last question. I wonder how I can be sure that the kexts are correctly installed in L/E. In Hackintool, in the section "Extensions", I don't see any Brcm kext however I installed et rebuild cache and repair permissions. Is there a way to be sure they are correctly installed (they appears in Finder's L/E)

I feel like I'm so close, aren't I?

• Administrators

@Tubardus, Bluetooth module of DW1820a should be fully functional if you use acidanthera's latest kexts (version v2.5.2 at time of writing). There are 2 x ways to use them:

1. if you cache kexts from /L/E, use BrcmBluetoothInjector + BrcmFirmwareRepo + BrcmPatchRAM3
  2. if you inject kexts from Clover's E/C/k/O, use BrcmBluetoothInjector + BrcmFirmwareData + BrcmPatchRAM3

That's what I use (I cache kexts from /L/E) and I don't use AirPortBrcmFixup kext (therefore no use of brcmfx-country boot parameter either) since I found no need for it with my DW1820a, the properties injected through Clover's configuration being totally sufficient. Bluetooth is fully operating with these kexts in Catalina 10.15.4.