Advises needed (kext, BT and earphones)

Tubardus

Thanks for your reply! Maybe you're not completely desperate about my case...

I have now installed cache in L/E  BrcmbluetoothInjecctor + BrcmFirmwareRepo + BrcmPatchRAM3 in version 2.5.2. I removed BrcmbluetoothInjecctor + BrcmFirmwareData + BrcmPatchRAM3 form E/C/K/O et set inject kext to "detect". This way I'm sure if something about BT is taken into account from L/E. I also removed brcmfx-country=#a form boot-arguments.

BT doesn't work properly. The strangest thing is that HandOff works fine! But no device is able to connect.

I noticed that with those kexts installed the version of BT has changed from 4096 to 4688. At least it as done something!

• Administrators

If it's different from 4096, that is good. That shows that the kexts do load a FW to the module. My DW1820a Bluetooth shows FW v5799 but I had updated it in Windows using one of those Win10 drivers.

How does BT behave after you put your 7490 to sleep and wake it?

• Administrators

Try and update the card to the latest Bluetooth firmware from Windows using the Dell drivers. I think the required driver is mentioned somewhere in the defunct DW1820a general troubleshooting thread now located in the Archive.

Correct me if I'm wrong : to do the update I can either

- install Windows on the laptop and do it

- install the card on another computer with windows and do it

Or are you talking about this post 

It's strange but I can't download the hex file in your  post (BCM4350C5...)

• Administrators

Yes that's what I meant. Now I had kept a copy of DW1820a BT info screenshots, so here they are:

Driver.jpg   Firmware.jpg

Try and Google for DW1820a Dell driver v12.0.1.750.

It's called Dell-Wireless-1550-1560-1704-1708-1820A-1830-Bluetooth_YW21W_WIN_12.0.1.750_A04_02.EXE.

• Administrators

Here's how things look for me in 10.15.4:

DW1820a_Bluetooth.jpg   DW1820a_BT_devices.jpg

DW1820a_Bluetooth_FW_v7_c5799.jpg

I use a BT mouse, I can hook audio to my JBL BT speaker or hook to my iPhone either via BT or via HotSpot to use the shared data connection. So all is Ok on the BT front. 

Handoff and AirDrop between my Latitude 7490 and my iPhone work perfectly too:

AirDrop.jpg .  Handoff.jpg

• Administrators

That's the actual firmware v7.5799, extracted from a Windows driver. Not of any real use for you at this stage/point of time.

My observations after further lengthy testing and recommendations:

1. In Windows, make sure your BT module is operational with whatever firmware (I found that v4688, v5799, v5803 all work).
  2. In macOS, make sure you're not using AirportBrcmFixup kext; I found it interferes with Bluetooth.
  3. I found BT works only when warm rebooting from Windows into macOS and that it does not work after a cold boot. No matter whether Brcm kexts are cached or injected.

I am now able to change the firmware of the BT card as I want. I just put the right zhx in the resource of brcmRepo and change the info.plist of BrcmPatchRam3 accordingly. I've been able to test several firmwares (5799, 5803 and others also higher). I think what I did was purely cosmetic as none of those different firmwares helped getting back BT.

I installed parallels desktops and Windows 10. Wifi is working well but bluetooth is not detected. Are you thinking to another way to install windows in order to update the BT card firmware?

Also, in your point 3, do I have to understand that this method will not allow me to have a full operational BT? How did you do to have one working?