Latitude E5440: fine-tuning macOS Catalina installation

marlov

@Jake Lo Thnaks, I'm replacing it in my efi folder and will test it soon.

Just one question: I may have fu*** up already and I used kext wizard to install all of the previous kext present in the efi folder into my Local Extensions, should I delete them all from there and copy/install only those inside the copytoLE folder?

Here's all my kexts inside the Local Extension (just the olds, didnt copied the new ones inside your copytoLE folder yet) (all kexts in Local Extensions ) 

after reboot and still without copying the files to LE

-screen brightness is working :DDD 

- external monitor is working via hdmi (didn't tested that before)

didn't noticed anything other than that

• Moderators

Yes, remove all kexts you have installed with kext wizard from /L/E and or /S/L/E and only add kexts from CopyToLE to /L/E

Don't use kextwizard. Just copy the kext and repair permissions and rebuild cache from terminal commands or use Hackintool.app.

@Jake Lo

I probably deleted things I shouldn't. 

So, I've reinstalled again with the old pendrive / uefi, then I've installed clover into the ssd as by the tutorial already mentioned, then I've replaced the clover folders with the ones you gave me.

I've copied the kexts inside the copytoLE folder to my /Library/Extension and re-did the permissions thing 

Almost everything looks to be working fine, except for the trackpad. I mean, it's working, but I need to push my finger kinda hard for it to recognize I'm touching it. Even gestures are  working. Any way to decrese this "force" required for it to work?

One additional thing is whenever the computer is "sleeping" it turns back on from time to time, I was sleeping and this thing kept awakening during the night and I don't think that was a ghost 😛 (i mean, I hope isn't Steve Jobs mad at me, may he rest in peace) 

• Moderators

You can try adjusting FingerZ value inside the VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugin/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/info.plist to a lower number for sensitivity.

As for waking from sleep, go in BIOS, disable Wake on LAN/WLAN/WWAN....

• Like 1

@Jake Lo

Holy molly, you're a god! 
Thank you so freaking much for your support man. 
Thanks to you I've a complete working E5440 w/ mac OS now. jezzzzzzzzzz

Is there anything I can do to help other users or even yourself? 

About the wifi's drivers, the ones we use today (broadcom, etc) are all provided by the owner and Intel don't make them for macOS or the drivers are developed "in-house" by the community and Intel has a major issue that makes it impossible to make a driver for?

If the first one is true(just happens that intel don't make them to macos), I can maybe give a shot and have a side project were I can try to develop one.

I mean, I never exactly did a true/real driver, but I have the knowledge in OS/kernel development. I have done some kind of driver to a virtualized machine where I had to deal with the packets comming in, so I was responsible for creating and managing the systems interrupts caused by it, as well as deal with the data almost in real time otherwise the packet was lost.

It's just a matter of understanding a little bit more about the protocols(i'll have a class this semester and the next for this), the wifi hardware itself and about drivers in macOS, which should be something really close to linux, so I'm basically at home haha

If things ain't simple like that and someone already tried and failed, please let me know ahead, so I check the failure docs and if there's no  real way, I won't even waste my time 😛 

Again, thank you very much

• Moderators

What value did you set for Finger Z to make it workable for you?

As for the Intel Wifi, Apple never use them on their hardware so no drivers were ever developed. Many developers had started some projects but had since abandoned.

Here are a few if you think you can contribute.

https://github.com/daliansky/XiaoMi-Pro-Hackintosh/issues/330 

https://github.com/zxystd/AppleIntelWifiAdapter 

https://github.com/Champ-Goblem/IntelWiFiDriver---Voodoo80211