D620 Snow Leopard USB pen created with MyHack 3 not working

moonman

I downloaded MyHack 3.0 and created a new USB pen as per the instructions both here and on MyHack, but I cannot boot from the USB pen to install Snow Leopard on my D620.

I downloaded the correct Extra folder for my model (D620 Intel) and used it to replace the /Extra on the USB pen.

When I try to boot from the USB pen, I use F12 to select the USB pen as usual. But then I get a dark blue screen for about 1 minute, then the Apple logo appears for about 1 second, and then I get a kernel panic.

I'm using the Retail Snow Leo DVD. I tried making the USB pen directly from the Retail DVD and from the disk image I created with the DVD. Same result both times.

I even tried copying a perfectly working /Extra folder from my D620 to the USB pen, but the results were the same.

I am only trying to boot from the USB pen and check that the installation pen is working okay, as I'm giving the D620 to a friend a long way away, so I'm preparing the USB pen for him.

I never had any problems with the old method for creating the USB pen. And my D620 is currently working perfectly with a fully updated 10.6.8.

Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. the memory is getting old, but I can't remember the exact steps for the OLD method to create the USB pen! Do you use Restore in Disk Utility from the DVD/image to the USB pen? And then install Chameleon and EDP? (sorry for the brain freeze, it's been a while)

I downloaded MyHack 3.0 and created a new USB pen as per the instructions both here and on MyHack, but I cannot boot from the USB pen to install Snow Leopard on my D620.

I downloaded the correct Extra folder for my model (D620 Intel) and used it to replace the /Extra on the USB pen.

When I try to boot from the USB pen, I use F12 to select the USB pen as usual. But then I get a dark blue screen for about 1 minute, then the Apple logo appears for about 1 second, and then I get a kernel panic.

I'm using the Retail Snow Leo DVD. I tried making the USB pen directly from the Retail DVD and from the disk image I created with the DVD. Same result both times.

I even tried copying a perfectly working /Extra folder from my D620 to the USB pen, but the results were the same.

I am only trying to boot from the USB pen and check that the installation pen is working okay, as I'm giving the D620 to a friend a long way away, so I'm preparing the USB pen for him.

I never had any problems with the old method for creating the USB pen. And my D620 is currently working perfectly with a fully updated 10.6.8.

Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. the memory is getting old, but I can't remember the exact steps for the OLD method to create the USB pen! Do you use Restore in Disk Utility from the DVD/image to the USB pen? And then install Chameleon and EDP? (sorry for the brain freeze, it's been a while)

P.P.S. I have to try to get the USB pen working ASAP as I'd like to ship the D620 out today. What'd be the best way to "revert" the USB pen to something like the "old" method USB pen that we used to make here? Is that possible? Could I install Chameleon and EDP, and "remove" the stuff that myHack 3.0 installed to the pen? I don't really have a lot of time, that's all.

why not just clone your D620 and just reinstall chameleon , as for me I used leppys boot 123 cd then the EPD required

I wanted to make an Installation pen that would be foolproof for my friend that I'm sending the D620 to, just in case he has to reinstall Snow Leo. I read about myHack and wanted to give it a try. Just doesn't seem to work for me.

I then rebuilt a USB installer pen using the Old Method (Restore from disk image, add Chameleon and Extra folder that you download from this site) and it worked fine, as usual. So the USB pen is okay, and the D620 is okay. The disk image from Retail Snow Leopard DVD is okay too. The problems seems to be myHack 3.0.

I helped a couple of people setup USB sticks with myhack 2.1 as their attempts with myhack 2.2 failed (so assume Latitudes are seemingly having issues with myhack 2.2 and higher). So if you want myhack 2.1 to try then PM me and I will send you a link to my dropbox copy - then follow the wiki as normal for install - manual install of chameleon (osxlatitude approved version linked in install wiki), EDP etc

Admins,

While myHack3.1 is probably in the works to fix the issues with myHack3.0, could we have a link to download myHack2.1?

For what I'm seeing, people post positive outcomes with myHack2.1 but the dmg is no longer available to download.

Thanks,

- Eduardo

Admins,

While myHack3.1 is probably in the works to fix the issues with myHack3.0, could we have a link to download myHack2.1?

For what I'm seeing, people post positive outcomes with myHack2.1 but the dmg is no longer available to download.

Thanks,

- Eduardo

I agree, could someone please PM me myHack 2.1, that would be amazing!! Thanks :D :D

I used the D430USB file on the old guide and it worked... on my D620 that is.

I only got this notebook for about 5 hours so I haven't really got the chance to test it much, but so far I've been able to get it to load SL pretty good, no wifi or any accessories yet though (hell I don't even know what wifi I have, didn't even bother to check, i just disable it in the bios).

At any rate, give that a shot, you don't need a mac to load the D430USB file on a USB, i did it in win 7 lol.