Dell XPS 9550: low wireless speed

djuby

Hi Jake,

I have a wired issue with my WiFi. I have an AC router and I am connected to it at 300 Mbit/s. When I do an Internet speed test I get 25 Mbit/s when all my other devices connected to the same WiFi get a 50 Mbit/s. Could that be a problem with the WiFi driver? Can you help?

Best regards.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

The driver, no. Some boot parameters for add-on wireless driver such as AirportBrcmFixup, possibly. Then rates really depend on your card and the network/channel you connect on (2.4GHz/5GHz).

The IOReg you provided in your previous XPS9350 thread reveals wireless card with PCI id 14e4:43ba, i.e. a card based on Broadcom BCM43602 chipset such as a DW1830. That card is 802.11ac so capable of great speeds on a 5GHz network within the right surrounding conditions of course.

Press [Opt] key whilst clicking on the Wireless icon of your Finder's bar and you'll see the connection settings for your network. You want to see DFS, 5GHz and 40MHz/80MHz values... If you don't check your boot parameters and experiment with them (see AirportBrcmFixup kext documentation). You may also check your wireless box/router settings and adjust of necessary.

I got some progress. I removed the AirportBrcmFixup.kext and after restart I got the desired speed. But when it wakes up from sleep I got half the speed as before. I also checked my router and there is no setting where I can set to use DFS channels.