Dell XPS 9550: low wireless speed

djuby

• Administrators

It's quite normal that a much increased latency reduces overall bit rate. If latency is beyond your Box/router, there's nothing you can do about it. Most likely, it's on your own wireless connection. If you're on a 5GHz network, distance and obstructions (walls) affect performance quite sensibly. But I believe you'll still suffer without DFS being available on your connection.

https://netbeez.net/blog/dfs-channels-wifi/

All in all, it's not really a Hackintosh issue per sé.

You could run batches of ping tests to your local router to see how that behaves. Typically, all should be within 5ms.

What are your current settings? Did you experiment as I had previously suggested?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Hervé,

Yes, I tried all your suggestions, but the issue is still there. The laptop is located around 10 feet from the router and always connects to the same SSID. Here is a screenshot of my ping times to the router - first one is after wake up from sleep, second one is after system restart.

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.18.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.22.56 PM.png

• Administrators

12 to nearly 110ms! That's a hell of a jitter on the local wireless network. At a distance of 10ft and on a 5GHz network, you should be within 5ms unless your network is saturated with traffic of course. So, yes, definitely an issue with your laptop settings on Wake.

• Administrators

:D You know the simplest way to check is to open up the laptop. Just remove the back/bottom cover and look at the wireless card near the fan! Model is usually written on the label.