Lenovo T460s: Find IOReg/ACPI Device for wireless card?

najel

Hi!

I'm quite new to the Hackintosh thing, and was able to follow some excellent guides to get macOS installed on my Lenovo T460S. I also have it dual booting Windows 10, and can boot linux from an external HDD. The only snag was of course the built-in WiFi. 

I found this guide and bought a Lenovo 00JT494 card. It is working fine in Windows, but with this card, my macOS won't even boot. I tried using verbose mode to see where it hangs, but there is no indication, it gets past all the messages, then switches to the Apple icon and the loading bar and just reboots the machine from there. 

I can disable the card in BIOS, and when I do, macOS boots fine. But obviously, this prevents me from following the guide, I can't get at the ACPI device name when the device is disabled as far as I can tell. I need the device name to add the property injection to my clover config.

These are the steps I'm trying to follow:

1. identify the IOReg/ACPI device to which the DW1820A card is attached (use IORegistryExplorer app to that effect). Eg: RP0n@xx,yy->PXSX@0.
  2. in the absence of individual ACPI device entry under the PCI bridge for the card, select "FixAirport" ACPI Fix in Clover. That'll create a device "ARPT" @0 under the bridge and that's what you'll inject properties to. This may also require to select "AddDTGP" ACPI Clover fix if your DSDT does not possess any DTGP method. Use Clover Configurator app to that effect.
  3. inject the following properties either in DSDT or through Clover (latter recommended):
  • compatibility of the card with Broadcom chips 14e4:4353 or 14e4:4331 that are handled by IO80211Family's PlugIn kext AirPortBrcm4360
  • ASPM disabling (required for most cards to avoid CPU clogging and system freeze)
  • optionally, add SysProfiler's cosmetic info such as PCIe Slot, card's make and model, etc.

So that's my question:

Is there an alternative way of getting to this? Can I get the same info from Windows or Linux, or will it be different there? Can I plug the original Intel card back in and get the info from that one and it would be the same?

By the way, I'm currently using IOJones, I will try the Apple IO Registry Explorer as well, but I assume the results would be the same, since the PCI slot is disabled by BIOS, no OS level software can see it?

I'm using the Clover config for T460S from this page. It already includes AirportBrcmFixup, which is also recommended by the BCM4350 guide.

Well, on a whim I decided to just try the values used in the guide (PCI0@0->RP03@1C,2->PXSX@0) and low and behold, it just happens to work on my machine. So I would assume this to be the case for ther T460S as well. 

• Moderators

You can find the address from Windows.

Going into properties of the Wireless device, click on Details.

Under Property, select Location paths, this should get you the address

ie PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1C06)#PCI(0000) -> (PCI0@0->PCI@1C,6->PCI@0)

• Administrators

Fitting the Intel card would have allowed you to identify the ACPI device too. It's linked to the actual M.2 slot so you'd have seen the Intel card there. Anyway, good that you got there in the end.

Thank you both! Both are good to know. I'm glad there would have been a way to find the address without having to swap cards again, those antenna connectors seem quite fragile.

Hopefully this can be of help to someone else.

And thanks Hervé for your excellent post regarding these BCM4350 cards, much better to have this nuanced information, other sites advocate for only one specific card, which has hugely inflated prices.