D820: New user questions?

prodigy

Hi,

Just found this forum -

I already have Windows XP and Fedora dual boot on my Dell Latitude D820.

So I have the ability to put OSX onto the laptop.

But I'd like to ask a couple of questions relating to OSX.

My main question is - putting OSX on my Dell D820.

Will OSX perform and be as stable as it were on an equivalent MAC laptop?

Once installed will my laptop essentially be a MAC?

I don't want to spend my time troubleshooting and bug hunting.

I already do that with Linux - which I'm happy to do - as constant development is what Linux is all about.

As for the MAC I want to use it as music machine that's incredibly stable

(As I've always heard MAC users proudly claim about the MAC OS.)

I'm a musician and I run the windows version of Reaper http://www.reaper.fm as my main audio program.

It's available for both windows & OSX.

Can I put on any peripherals i choose... e.g.

I want to use a professional sound card? as I intend to get an RME fireface 400

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_400.php

Or would I be better off just buying a MAC laptop?

• Administrators

Dear prodigy,

First of all, you should read the wiki section of this site to learn how to install os x.

A few points that may be handy. You need to create a new partition to install os x. As for bootloader, you will need to install chameleon from the EDP as it is required to boot os x. You will also use it to triple boot windows xp and linux. As for performance, have a look at the benchmarks section of this site, my D630 beats my dads macbook pro with slightly higher specs. Once you set up the hackintosh correctly it will be as stable as any other operating system. As for peripherals, if it has os x drivers then it should work.

Give it a try. Good luck.

Cheers!

• Administrators

quote: I don't want to spend my time troubleshooting and bug hunting..... if this is the case then this might not be fore you. theses machines run 80-90% perfect... if you need perfection then please purchase a real mac. I'm not trying to be rude in any way but there will always be a quirk with this...if it's not graphics, it's thermal temps, or the trackpad, or sleep, or audio or usb's or something. hope that helps you. it doesn't matter the model or manufacturer... they all will have some little quirk with them or an update will sneak in and destroy your OS setup so if you do chose to install osx on non mac hardware save yourself a headache and once you get it where it is running well make a backup of it... you will be using it at some point.

Personally Ive been running my hackintosh for over a year now , once ive settled confortable with what ive got and what I could do with it , I never found a reason to upgrade or expand , my advice would be get a small ,cheap harddrive like a 60/80 or 120 g , learn the lingo , read and google, start from scratch, that way you dont compromise loosing anything but time , but once you go mac , its hard to go back ,.. especially when it comes down to MIDI. now running snow leopard 10.6.7 with all the music goodies , garage/logic/ alberton live ,and FL in parallels usin korg nano controllers , with a dell D630/nvidia,. well worth the headaches at the end of it all.

Thanks for the info guys ...

I have a spare 80gb drive ... i'm gonna give it a go :)

doe's it matter if i get Snow leopard 10.6.3 - can i upgrade after i install ?

any other pit falls i should look out for when buying a mac os.

Many thanks

• Administrators

Dear prodigy,

10.6.3 is fine. You can easily update it to 10.6.8 from Apple Updates once you've installed 10.6.3 and its up and running.

By the way, after updating to at least 10.6.6, you will have the App Store which you can purchase and download Lion 10.7. Alternatively, you can buy the lion usb stick from Apple Store which I did.

Good luck :rolleyes:

Cheers!