How to download the installer app for newer versions

lions94

From Hervé's posts, it looks like it is OK to install High Sierra/Mojava/Catelina to a D630 machine.

I am currently running El Capitan (10.11.6) in my D830, and I am trying to install the later versions.  However, when trying to download High Sierra/Mojava/Catelina  installer from the App store, it failed to start the download, but gave me a popup "We could not complete your purchase.  This version of macOS 10.13.6 cannot be installed to this computer"

So I would like to know how I can get the Install macOS High Sierra.app to build the USB installer?

thanks

Is Clover Configurator the tool for changing the SMBios?  I have never used this tool and not very comfortable to manually making changes on the configuration yet.  Is there any good guide for this tool?

thanks

• Administrators

<_<

• "Our Picks" list on forum main page...
  • OS X/macOS forum section

In addition to the specified mandatory hardware requirements, macOS Sierra and High Sierra on a D830 require using MBP7,1 SMBIOS since they're not officially supported on MBP5,1 platforms. These constraints are clearly indicated in my D630 and D830 guides. Latter (not former) recommended for installation of OS X/macOS on a D830 of course:

I also want to remind that we have a thread entitled "Minimum specs for OS X/macOS" in this very section.

A D830 running El Capitan 10.11.x with MBP5,1 SMBIOS will not be able to download High Sierra from the AppStore; MBP7,1 SMBIOS will have to be used as pre-requisite. If using Chameleon/Enoch, it's a simple matter of using good old Chameleon Wizard to change SMBIOS (alternatively grab the smbios.plist from the D830 Sierra bootpack); if using Clover, Clover Configurator is the obvious (and recommended) tool to adjust the config file.

All this being said, from memory, OP's D830 was fitted with Merom T7500 CPU, so, unless that has changed since 2013, El Capitan is the end of the road.

Thank you, Herve for the explanation, and thank Jake too, I used Chameleon/Enoch 2795 to install the El Capitan.

My D830 has T7700 so unfortunately falls into the  Merom family.  I did read your notes, probably I misunderstood the requirements.  When you said that El Capitan is the end of the road, you also mentioned that it is possible to fake the profile, so I am confused if I could actually move ahead to install  and run the Sierra or , or even High Sierra?  or the fake profile trick will only work for Penryn CPU with MBP5,1 SMBIOS profile?

thanks again!

• Administrators

To answer your original question again, Sierra and High Sierra can only be downloaded off the AppStore from a Hackintosh using a Sierra/High Sierra compatible SMBIOS. MBP5,1 is not compatible whilst MBP7,1 is. Of course, the same principles/rules apply to subsequent macOS versions such as Mojave and/or Catalina. So you may download High Sierra off the AppStore from your D830 Hackintosh if you use MBP7,1 SMBIOS. Alternatively, use the High Sierra download link available in the thread dedicated to downloading older versions of OS X/macOS; a thread that we've also placed in "Our Picks" column on the forum main page for reasons of increased visibility (that I'm now beginning to question).

With regards to the subsequent questions, even though anticipated in my previous post, I obviously failed on the matter of clarity despite my efforts and carefully chosen words, on top of what -I believed- was clearly stated crucial information in the D630/D830 guides...

So, again: 

• Sierra and High Sierra can only be installed and run on a CPU with SSE4 instructions set. Penryn architecture CPUs (Penryn, Wolfdale, etc.) are the oldest suitable families, being the 1st ones to implement/be fitted with such instructions set. This is explained in our pinned "Minimum requirements for OS X/macOS" thread dating back to 2013 and regularly updated ever since.
  • As with any OS X/macOS version, the SMBIOS of a natively unsupported Mac model can only be used with a PlatformSupport plist patched to that effect. Hence the usual choice to switch SMBIOS to that of a natively supported Mac model whenever this appears required (as is the case when upgrading a Penryn-based D830 from El Capitan/MBP5,1 to High Sierra).
  • The last OS X version a Merom-based laptop Hackintosh can natively run is El Capitan, not macOS (meaning Sierra and later).

As such, OS X El Capitan is the end of the road for a Latitude D830 fitted with a Merom CPU.