D430 - Kernel Panic on Lion Install

Alissa

Hi there,

I'm attempting to install Lion on my newly acquired D430. I've followed the steps in the guide:

1) I've wiped and partitioned a USB drive

2) Downloaded and used MyHack 3.0, following the MyHack guide for Lion

3) Deleted the /extra folder and copied the relevant D430 boot package to the USB drive

4) Set the BIOS to defaults, running version A07

5) Booted from the USB

This is where it goes wrong. It gets to the initial myHackUSB install disk, there's a blank screen and after awhile I get the spinning icon. But before it gets into the installer, it kernel panics and asks me to reboot. I've tried booting with -v and -v -x and this still occurs. I've also tried various BIOS options (e.g. speedstep) but nothing appears to make a difference.

Any ideas? The attached is the kernel panic message; the first is the standard boot with no flags and the second is with -v -x.

post-4851-066481000 1335833656_thumb.jpg

post-4851-092172100 1335833994_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

remove /Extra/Extensions.mkext and /Extra/Extensions/IntelCPUMonitor.kext there not needed for a lion OS install.... it looks like the fakesmc plugin is not compatible with the version of fakesmc in the boot pack but for an install there is no reason to need the plugin IntelCPUMonitor.kext

if that doesn't work try with myhacks generic extra folder you might have to use the cpus=1 flag to correct stuttering of tsc. and might need a usb mouse and keyboard

Ah, that is good information. Thanks, will try to find a way to modify the drive on Windows. Would be great to get it working whilst I'm out on business, but definitely should work when I get back :)

Ah. In that case I can't do anything until I get home. Just to confirm, I haven't run MyFix even once.

Edit: Yeah, I removed those files and of course it doesn't boot at all now. Ah well, will try again once I get home unless I run into someone with a Mac before then.

Just to be clear, I need to re-do the process, but before booting into the install I need to run MyFix, which is part of the MyHack 3.0 app? Thanks :)

I used a Lion USB stick created with Myhack 2.1 with no issues (wifi card swapped from Intel to Broadcom before install). Seem to be issues with sticks created with myhack 2.2 and 3 (reasons beyond my knowledge but perhaps related to version of chameleon integrated).

I have a copy of myhack 2.1 - if you PM me I can send you a link to my dropbox copy. It's worth ago if none of the useful advice above works.

well if you can get to terminal you can just run myfix... but did you try booting with the -f -v flag

Yeah, I tried those flags but had no luck - crashed way before I could get to a terminal. Will try again when I'm back home tomorrow night. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.