Dell Latitude D830 Thread

macluscious

I updated to 10.6.6 no luck. then I reinstalled with the USB and updated 10.6.6 without chemaleon or edp. screwed up with thesystem

now again I installed and did chem rc5 665 and EDP 1.7. installing the 10.6.7 updated. lets hope for the best

will update soon

Hi all for your support.

I have my D830 up and running with SL 10.6.7

tried a load of stuff that I even forgot !!!

yesterday after several installs, I got it working but still I have issues with restart and shutdown. it doesn't happen I have to force shut by pressing the power button. also after putting 10.6.7 with EDP 1.8 I found that my ~ key is changed. rest all are same. is there any keyboard mapping or something. my ~ give is a § donno why. so if I am in the terminal and need to go to my home directory I can't do that but to open a new terminal ! all rest fine installed lightroom and aperture speed looks ok to me.

will update on this more !

for the first timers here is what I did (to get the final working)

1. installed with SLD430USB.img

2. installed chameleon 2 RC5 665

3. installed EDP (which is listed in the installation tutorial)

4. rebooted with the USB still connected and selected usb at boot. when the menu appeared I selected the HDD (boot from usb and select hdd as root or else will get gray screen)

5. installed 10.6.7 combo update and rebooted

6. repeated step 4

7. installed EDP 1.8 and bingo !!!!

cooling is still not so good but will check other options for that and would love to receive help from the experts.

COOLING and reboot / shutdown please help

regards

Niranjan

HELLPPPPPP!!!!

my mac on D830 shows CPU as 1.1Ghz ??? :( :( :(

but speed is ok...I dont find it super fast nor it is slow....but why is it showing as 1.1Ghz is it really running on 1.1 ???

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 1.10 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 728 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.005

Please guide

regards

Niranjan

I got the CPU showing me 2.0Ghz thats fine but still shutdown / reboot doesn't work need to manually power off after the black screen

also, I wanted to know how do I calibrate the screen for photography ? is there any specific method for D830 ?

please guide.

Calling D830-nvidia/intel users,

Can you please try and do a new build using D630 profile instead and report directly to [email protected] ?

Ordering 5 off-lease, refurbished D830s for my wife's school on Monday. Here are the specs:

Dell Latitude D830, Core Duo 2.2Ghz T7500, 2Gb, 160Gb, DVDRW, WinXP Pro, Refurbished, 1 Year Parts Replacement Warranty

Price - $300.00 each. They also have the 2.0 Ghz T7300 CPU-based D830s (all other specs the same) for $280 each (HDs are only 120Gb, not 160Gb. Want the 15.4 inch display of the D830, so not interested in the D630s they offer for less. So curious as to peoples' thoughts on $20 for 0.2Ghz speed increase and 40Gb storage difference.

Both D830 Models have the following standard options.

Nvidia Graphics WUXGA+ 1900x1200 Screen 10/100/1000 Nic Bluetooth Finger Print Reader Intel Pro Wireless 3945 a/b/g

Add On Options: 4Gb Memory $25 (3.25 - 3.5Gb Usable) MS Refurbisher XP License is only 32bit. Upgrade to 2 Year Warranty $25 Upgrade to 3 Year Warranty $50

Any suggestions from experienced users on these forums as to whether I should get the 2.2 or 2.0 Ghz D830s ($20 difference)? Any guidance as to what version of 10.6 I should be able to get up to?

NOTE - I have a few 10.6.3 Retail Family Pack Discs to use for these computers. Hope to teach the students, solely as a scientific experiment, how to install Tripe Boot system with MS Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS, Ultimate 3.0 (out shortly) 64 bit Linux OS, and OS X 10.6.8.

Appreciate advice before purchasing computers. My current experience with hackintoshes is converting my wife's old Sony Vaio VGN-AR840E into a 10.6.8 17" workhorse. Just no wired ethernet LAN nor QE/CE from graphics (LVDS Display panel (controller?). But I have worked through wirless not being recognized and many other issues. Nawcom's ModCD really came through.

if you have the option to change the WiFi cards from Intel to broadcom you should exchange them. if your planning on multi booting then an extra 40 gigs is an extra OS partition opportunity.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will undoubtedly look into this suggestion.

Any thoughts as to whether we will be able to have our school's students connect their laptops with OSX 10.6.x to a projector? I know that there are VGA and S-Video ports.

We are planning to teach HS students how computers really can do a heckuva lot more than what they are spoonfed by the manufacturers, Bill Gates and their local computer or office supply store (who believe that they know more than ALL of their customers). We are going to teach them about linux and osx86. Would love to be able to have the students hookup their notebooks to a projector after creating a video in their filmmaking class with Apple's Final Cut.

Are there docking stations that work on a Dell D830 OSX laptop which would provide more connectivity options to a projector?