Dell Latitude D830 Thread

macluscious

I have no clue if it would work as i do not have that model but on my d620-gma graphics extended mode works but not mirrored mode. so i do not know how the nvidia models behave.

Pardon my naivete. What are "graphics extended mode" and "mirrored mode"?

• Administrators

mirrored mode duplicates the main screen on to a second monitor... which does not work on most dell's running osx. it will corrupt the graphics on both monitors. extended mode is it's own user space so in essence expands your desktop area. so you could watch a video lets say on one display and do work in the other.

Should have asked this b4 -- What port or device do you use to connect from your laptop to YOUR second monitor with OSX?

I would be hooking up either via VGA or DVI (only video ports I saw on the D Line of Latitude Dell laptops) to a 7.1 stereo receiver, with sound from the headphone jack to the corresponding ports on the receiver, then video from the receiver directly to the projector and sound to the speakers.

Thanks for bearing with me, but this is amazing stuff.

sounds about right.

Bronxteck:

I had ordered the D830s with nVidia GPU and 2.2 Ghz CPU this afternoon. Will arrive next week once inspected and Windows 7 installed (oh well, no choice, its how they refurbish and sell them). Probably use Clonezilla before I start playing with EDP and OSX Latitude guides. Could I use Carbon Copy Cloner with the notebook hard drive removed from the D830 case and inserted into an external notebook drive case? Attached via an external SATA controller? Maybe that might be the route to go rather than Clonezilla. Thoughts?

Actual reason for this post is to ask what WiFi cards from Broadcom do you recommend I invest in for these notebooks? I have a BCM94322MC for my Sony Vaio working as I type this post. Not clear on what type of WiFi cards are in the D830s. Are they mini PCI-E cards like in my Vaio or a different size and configuration?

Appreciate your guidance on both issues if possible,

nesnfsn in Sunny South Florida

carbon copy cloner should be fine with an external setup. the wifi cards are mini pci-e. here, some feedback from forum members

Bronxteck:

Does CCC also backup the Windows Partition, the System Reserved Partition and Windows hidden bootloader files? Essentially, I am looking to image the drive so that it might be archived externally, and restored, if needed in the future.

Perhaps Clonezilla might be a better solution. Thoughts?

nesnfsn

• Administrators

you know what that's a good question about the helper partitions. hmm i havenot used them in a while (more than a year) i don't remember... :(

have you looked at there literature? i stopped using windows somewhere around 10.6.2. so i'm out of practice.

One thing that I never used on my D830 was actually its mic but today when I tried to use it over skype I was unable to say any thing because there is a lot of noise, some thing like very loud static noise which is mixed with sound from the mic. It was pretty loud I must say, this is the first time I am using that.

Just successfully installed 10.6.7 on my old (2007) D830 nVidia, C2D 2.2GHz with 4GB RAM and BIOS A15.

Almost all things work flawlessly (thanks to you guys and yours EDP 1.9) except system BUS speed @733MHz.

post-2338-087806300 1315702232_thumb.png

I know about an issue with wrong BIOS data and Chameleon. How can I fix this? I still have not tested solution with AnVal (replacing boot file with....). BTW what exactly is AnVal? Is it compatible (vanilla) enough with rest of the system?