how to update to catalina from Mojave Dell Latitude 7480

Nancy10

So i tried to upgrade, and i created a new Clover boot folder.
- I downloaded the latest version fo clover

- I have added the latest version of kexts that i had before upgrading

- i have copied the old ACPI foler i had before ( is this a good idea ? )

- i have copied the old config.plist i had before upgrading

Now i am stuck with a kernel panic that involves the GPUDriversIntel : Panic assert message has something like this : "/Library/caches/com.apple.xbs/Souorces/GPUDriversIntel14.6.18". I am totally locked out of my system but i can access recovery, could this be the Embedded Controller device thing ?

I have edited a picture of the screen with the error, not very clear though

IMG_20200602_111250.jpg

i have done the installation already i am trying to boot after it. I tried using the -disabledfxfirmware boot arg anyways but not success, still the same kp
(i'll edit my first photo with an updated version) 

here is my last clover folder

CLOVER.rar

Note : i tried the clover folder from this post but to no use ( it is outdated too )

• Moderators

the boot arg from the screenshot is different from your Config file so not sure if you change it during boot or you're booting from another set of EFI files.

From the KP, looks like it's related to graphics. Try boot with arg -igfxvesa

As for your kexts, you can remove AppleBacklightFixup.kext (part of WEG now)

Remove SMCHelper.efi from drivers/UEFI, you have VirtualSMC.kext. SMCHelper.efi is paired with FakeSMC.kext

Once you're able to boot with -igfxvesa to complete the installation. rebuild cache. You should then be able to boot without that arg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

the boot arg from the screenshot is different from your Config file so not sure if you change it during boot or you're booting from another set of EFI files

Yes, i added the arg on boot. i will try with that -igfxvesa and report back

the boot arg from the screenshot is different from your Config file so not sure if you change it during boot or you're booting from another set of EFI files.

EDIT : I was wrong earlier, i clearly am booting from a different set of EFI files not the ones that i attached earlier. I switched to booting from those files now and i can't see any boot  partitions, no recovery no macOS installation, what could be the problem here ? Fixed will rport again 

Second edit I tried the new efi files and it is still the same kernel panic, but I got a new notice kexts being different from the prelinked ones. I attached a photo.  

Could my update just have failed and now stuff is corrupted and incomplete? 

IMG_20200602_174709.jpg

What i did was set the FakeID to 0x12345678 as well as the Platform-ID to 0x12345678 and 

it did work at first, it passed the earlier error stage but stuck at [IGPU] Graphics driver failed to load : could not register with Framebuffer driver !

i have been trying to fix the KP and found out about DVMT memory allocation being less than needed, but i also found that it is done easier via WEG. should i try and up it to 98 mb or lower it to 32 mb ? i really don't understand this and it seems not useful since i did boot Mojave before and that doesn't seem to need a different DVMT.

• Moderators

Correct, with WEG and FB patch, they will bypass the error, but for that to work the FB kext must be cache for the FB patch to patch during boot. Usually with fakeID and / or -igfxvesa should be enough to get your installer to continue. You could try adding additional boot arg -disablegfxfirmware

• Like 1