Clear directions on installing lion (10.7) on dell d430

toyreon

Hi, sorry if you guys are tired of hearing this question but I require a little extra direction. I want to Install lion on my dell d430, I already read the wiki but Im still a little confused. I some how managed to get os x 10.5.7 successfully installed on it already, which I'm using right now to write this, but I really want to experience the lion version. Okay, so I have the 8gb flash drive, but I'm confused as to where to get the correct version of the lion installation as there are so many different versions of it, and some that are modded. The rest I think I can do. And since I have version 10.5 currently does this mean I will have to use a windows computer to format my flash drive. I hope you guys can help with with some easy to understand directions ( like i'm a kid). Thank you.

• Administrators

Hi toyreon,

There are few options: (1) Buy lion usb or (2) buy snow leopard dvd, upgrade to latest version and purchase lion from app store.

You can use your existing 10.5.8 to prepare the usb installer once you get the lion usb or lion apps.

Cheers!

Ok I can managed to shell out the cash for the usb, but I'm still unclear on the process. Im a Newbie like it says under my name. Since then I have googled the topic but get mixed results and even more question, a quick step by step would be great if anyone is willing, thanks again.

Hi Toyreon, I've sent you a PM - I'm afraid that reading through the wikis, using google and a bit of trial and error is the best method - the wiki is pretty comprehensive but it does expect a certain amount of technical confidence. I think I'm right in saying that you need a hackintosh or a mac with at least 10.6 for a chance of making a Lion boot stick the simplest way.

Anyway I've PM'd you so you can send me an email address so I can send you my setup/install setup notes - but this may confuse even more!!

UPDATE!!!...... After trial and error,I was able to get 10.6 on my dell d430 thanks to a close friend of mine. The only problem I'm having now is black screen on every boot but I found a way to override it, and also sleep does not work. I have working wifi, usb, sound, and graphics that even support quartz extreme and video acceleration. I am now ready to begin to install osx lion, I dont know where to start so I will just begin with the wikis on this site, but after going through all the failed installations, I could really use a break. any tips installing lion on dell d430, Im open to any tips. Thanks you guys.

• Administrators

Dear toyreon,

The method to install lion is quite similar to installing snow leopard. Basically, you need to purchase lion from app store. After that, use myhack to prepare the lion usb installer and then install lion from the usb. Upon first boot, run EDP and finally myfix. Its that simple. Try it.

p/s: You may want to create another partition to test to install lion first so that you can use your working snow leopard to troubleshoot. After everything goes well then you can consider removing snow leopard.

Cheers!

LAST UPDATE!...... With the help of all you guys I have successively installed lion on my computer! It cost me a little and was not easy for a noob like me, but it feels good to have done it though, now I can officially close this thread on a good note. thanks again, and take care!!!! :D