Dell Latitude 7490 - Installation Mojave 10.15.x with a dualboot - Support Request

Jeepey

Hello, I'm new on this website. I bought a dell latitude 7490 few days ago and I would like to do an hackintosh on it. I don't speak english very well and I would like help with my installation. 

I found this tuto

It is really good but I have some trouble. I would like to do a dualboot on my M.2 2280 512GB SATA SSD (in Key M slot) with windows 10 who is already install and Catalina 10.15.  My specs are exactly the same as those in the tuto.

I don't know how to do a dualboot when I follow the tuto and what to do not lose my data and my windows 10 os. 

So my questions are

1. Do I need to downgrade my bios version (it's v1.14.0)
  2. Can I do a dualboot ? 
  3. Will I lose my data ? 
  4. To do the "well-known/well documented vanilla method", do I need to make the "boot USB key" with a virtual machine ? (I don't have a macbook at home)

Thank you for your answers. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Hi @Jeepey

1) No, any BIOS version is fine. Just remove the DSDT.aml from the files in the tutorial.

2) Yes, but you need to make sure the EFI partition is at least 200MB. MacOS requires 200MB, Windows by default is 100MB I believe. You'll need to figure out how to do that with google. Make sure your drive is currently formatted to GUID. Yes Windows can run on GUID.

3) If you do it correctly, you won't lose any data, but always a good idea to backup 1st. 

4) Usually best to create installer from a real Mac or Hackintosh, VM is less reliable but some had succeeded without issue. So you can try and see.

@Jake Lo

Thank you for your answer. 

1. I remove just the "DSDT.aml" and it's fine ? 
  2. My EFI part is 100MB so I have to extend it ? I need to have a 300MB EFI part because Windows need 100MB and Macos 200MB ? When you say " Make sure your drive is currently formatted to GUID." How can I be sure that my drive is formatted to GUID ? 
  3. It's done. I just don't want to broke my windows. 
  4. Do you have a tuto of that on this siteweb ? 

partition.PNG

• Moderators

1) Yes, just remove the DSDT.aml. Everything else will work

2) Just 200MB is fine, enough for both Windows and MacOS

4) If you have a MacOS VM, you can create the installer from the VM following Hervé guide

Or from Windows, you can follow this guide but replace the Clover files with Hervé bootpack

I did step by step the above tuto.

I tried the tuto for Mojave 10.14.x with 10.14.6. I did exactly that : 

1. I downloaded the dmg file from apple store (8gb)
  2. I format my USB key with that diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk# GPT JHFS+ "USB" 100% 
  3. I install the dmg Mojave with this sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/USB
  4. I install Clover r4919 (and I tried the r5093 and r5119) on my USB with exactly theses settings : "

Clover for UEFI booting only

Install Clover in the ESP

UEFI Drivers

AudioDxe-64

DataHubDxe-64

FSInject-64

SMCHelper-64

ApfsDriverLoader-64

AppleImageLoader-64

AptioMemoryFix-64

Fat-64

HFSPlus

NvmExpressDxe-64

PartitionDxe-64

Ps2MouseDxe-64

UsbKbDxe-64

UsbMouseDxe-64

Themes (optional)

Install Clover Preference Pane (optional)" 

5. I lunched Clover Configurator but the EFI part was already mount. 

6. I cospy/past this : "7490_Mojave_Clover_Pack_#8.zip" in EFI/Clover

7. I put my USB key on my computer and it's not working ... 

I did the same for 10.15.x with the lastest version of Catalina. And no succes too ...
I tried everything (with injected kextts, without injected kexts), change the version of Clover. 
I put the good BIOS settings, I downgrade my BIOS version from 1.14 to 1.13.1. 
I tried really everything but it's not working. I'm doing it for 17 hours now ...
The latest version that I tried was the 10.14.6 version tuto. 
I'm with a virtualbox macos 10.15.4 Catalina. 
My usb is a 16gb 3.0 USB
I have the exact same computer that in the tuto. 

I took some pictures of my "errors" when I try : 

• Normal settings (nothing changed, just -v as boot settings)
  • When I do with injected kexts
  • when I do without injected kexts.

Please help me, I will tilt so much ...

IMG_20200617_052253.jpg

IMG_20200617_051136.jpg

IMG_20200617_050827.jpg

• Moderators

If you're installing Catalina, make you have Clover v5107 at minimum.

When using the bootpack, make sure the contents of the zip are extracted into /EFI/Clover.

Boot with -v debug=0x100 -igfxvesa

If booted, continue using the same arg until installation is completed

Back to your Windows format, check if it's MBR. If it is, you'll need to convert it to GUID. I'm not sure if it's possible. I never had to do it before I had always install MacOS, then Windows.

• Administrators

Erm... just for the sake of clarity, you didn't just copy the zipped Clover pack to your EFI/Clover folder did you? Instead, you unzipped it and copied/pasted the unzipped contents then removed the patched DSDT, right?

If you're installing latest version of Catalina, i.e. 10.15.5, you may want to boot with -disablegfxfirmware boot arg. I had found it to be required when updating to 10.15.4 as stated here.

Don't use any Clover version older than r5117.

As suggested by Jake Lo, there was no need to downgrade BIOS to v1.13.1 at all, the 7490 runs macOS just fine with v1.14.0.

1 hour ago, Jake Lo said:

Back to your Windows format, check if it's MBR. If it is, you'll need to convert it to GUID. I'm not sure if it's possible. I never had to do it before I had always install MacOS, then Windows.

I removed windows completely. I just used an USB key with windows install on and I deleted all partition to get only 1 big partition unformated. 

2 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

If you're installing Catalina, make you have Clover v5107 at minimum.

I have clover r5119 on my USB bootable macos key. 

When using the bootpack, make sure the contents of the zip are extracted into /EFI/Clover.

I did exactly that 

Boot with -v debug=0x100 -igfxvesa

If booted, continue using the same arg until installation is completed

I will try it

42 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Erm... just for the sake of clarity, you didn't just copy the zipped Clover pack to your EFI/Clover folder did you? Instead, you unzipped it and copied/pasted the unzipped contents then removed the patched DSDT, right?

What do you mean by that ? I opened the zip file, extract it on desktop. After that I copy/paste the config file and theses 2 folder (ASAP and KEXTS) in EFI/Clover. Witch one DSDT should I removed ? Where that are ? 

45 minutes ago, Hervé said:

If you're installing latest version of Catalina, i.e. 10.15.5, you may want to boot with -disablegfxfirmware boot arg. I had found it to be required when updating to 10.15.4 as stated here.

Should I try to install macOS 10.15.5 or 10.14.6 ?Witch version is more stable and easier to install ? 

Witch version of my bios should I put to install easier macOS ?