CPU power management

Chicken07

Hi everybody
When using hackintosh, I feel cpu clock is always quite high, when idle clock is still high (~ 2ghz) and unstable as when using windows, it leads to very high cpu temperature and poor battery life. It also makes the battery wear very fast
I don't know how to reduce clock speed or turn off turbo boost

Thanks

• Administrators

If your laptop is unstable and CPU running at high speed under Windows and macOS, I'd say you have a general issue that's not related to running macOS... There are obvious things to check such as state of fans (and cleaning if clogged by dust) and CPU/GPU thermal paste (and clean off if hardened to renew by high quality paste). Your BIOS settings may also be incorrect (make sure CPU speedstep is enabled).

Then, there is the matter of properly configuring CPU power management under macOS. You'll have to specify your laptop model and post a copy of your bootloader config/zipped bootloader folder. If you've used the pack from a guide posted here, all should be in order.

With regards to turning off Turbo boost, I've always believed it was a bad idea given the impact on performance but, several years ago, a forum member developed and posted a kext that disabled Turbo boost when running on battery. I don't know if that still works on more recent platforms but you can always look it up.