DELL XPS 12 9Q33: Clover to Opencore conversion for High Sierra/Catalina

jones333333

Hello to all,

I am currently running High  Sierra on my Dell XPS 12 9Q33 with clover and I would like to go the Opencore way and uprade to Catalina

As I see that some users on the forum are already using Opencore, could somebody help me to convert my Clover EFI to Open core?

I attached my current Clover EFI also raw DSDT and ssdt files are present in my origin folder as I think that these will need to be re-patched to be used with OpenCore.

Also the link with all the post from my original high Sierra installation: 

Thanks in advance for your help!

EFI.zip

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

I would suggest you 1st upgrade to Catalina and establish a working Clover config before even attempting a switch to OC. Please refer to the Catalina requirements thread pinned to Our picks list on main page. You'll most likely need to patch your Embedded Controller ACPI device. You'll also need to update Clover (go for r5119, not r5120 which is buggy/troublesome) and your add-on kexts (Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, etc.) before you actually upgrade to Catalina; make a backup for safety but you would normally be able to simply launch the downloaded Catalina app package to upgrade.

Thanks for your answer Hervé. I will follow your advice and uprade to Catalina with Clover,

Just one question regarding the patch of my Embedded controller. I already have my DSDT and SSDT that were pached by JakeLo in the past. They are included in my "patched" EFI folder. Will I need to repatch my DSDT or do you think this was already done?

• Administrators

Your current setup dates back to 2017 and High Sierra, i.e. long before the new Catalina requirement was even identified. As such, the Embedded Controller patch could not have been applied. Check your DSDT as per the thread I referred to above and rename the device as/if necessary.

I would also recommend that you switch from patched AppleHDA (which may no longer work in Catalina) to Lilu+AppleALC for audio.

Thanks for these infos Hervé!

Regarding my SSDT that were patched by JAkeLo, may I still use them for Catalina.

Also will I need to repatch the Original DSDT or could I apply the Embedded Controller patch on the alreday patched DSDT by JakeLo which is present in my "patched" folder?

Could someone help me? I want to update this laptop to Catalina but really I am lost on what to do...

My EFI Folder was done with the help of the members of this forum and I have to say that after reading a lot of documentation on the web I am completely lost on this one. Machine is fully functional under High Sierra but I really want to update it to Catalina.

debug_5810.zip