E7470 Big Sur Beta Installation

dave.stl

Hey everyone,

i wanted to open this topic because I haven't seen any similar here.

I tried to install Big Sur Beta 2 on my Latitude E7470 and ran into some Problem.

Has anyone successfully installed Big Sur on the E470 or an similar Latitude?

I dont know if its better to make an fresh install or an upgrade from my Catalina installation. Bu didnt want to mess up my Catalina installation so im more into an clean install.

So for that I read, that Copencore (0.6.0) is the better option. But i ran into some problems again. Some where caused by some outdated kexsts. After upgrading or disable them the boot stuck a bit later in kind of an loop.

After this weekend i will provide additional information, but if anyone mad any progress pleas let me know or give me an hint ;)

Thanks in advance,

David

• Moderators

@dave.stl

Give this a try. Successfully tested to boot from USB installer Big Sur Beta 2.

Config include settings for DW1820a, if you don't have that device, make sure to comment it out.

It'll be wise not to upgrade or install over your Catalina as Hervé advised.

Either get an external drive or replace with a spare M.2 drive if you want to test Big Sur

E7470_OC.zip

Update to latest OC release and kexts

E7470_OC_0.6.2.zip

Thanks for providing this, but i got no luck with booting up the installer. I think i got an kernel/cpu panic right after lilu is loaded. I took your EFI and just changed the Device Properties to my serial and so on. Or do i need an special SMBIOS configuration.

(Even my Catalina is not starting up with your EFI) 

• Moderators

Trackpad not working or no gestures? 

You should at least get basic movement and scrolling as well as for the trackpoint. 

I haven't try Beta3 so if that's what you're running, than I can't comment until I try it.