Hello from Abu Dhabi

Beebs9969

Just wanted to say Hi, and thanks for all the hard work that the OSXL team puts into this site, I like the new look!!!

I'm running a D630 Nvidia, with 4gb, I have a bit of a weird setup going I guess.

Since this is my only computer, I took a bit of a different approach to the Hackintosh. I have windows running on my main disk, with OSXL running on a drive in the caddy. Took a while to get setup, but now I think it's awesome!! on the windows disk I have 4 partitions (2 for windows, but I suppose no one here is interested in those) and then one for common storage with a ex-fat format, and one for time machine.

I have to say, that i really like having the dual boot. It's nice to have basically "both" my computers with me where ever I go!

I've run into a bit of a problem updating to 10.7.4, some sort of IRQ problem......but that's a post for a different area. For now, I've left the system at 10.7, and I have to say, it's great!!

I used to run OSX as a VM on this same machine, but it was so slow, it was hardly useable. having OSX on it's own partition has completely changed the experience. Does anyone think it's worth the upgrade to 8GB of ram? Would that make it even faster?? My guess is not, but hey, I'm very very new to this!!

thanks again!!

• Administrators

Hi Beebs,

On you 10.7.4 issues, we already started a topic here that may solve your problems :-

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1363-start-your-engines-1074-is-here/page__view__getnewpost__fromsearch__1

So far, I have 2g on my rig and i never find it to be an issue... however, i do wish i had more when i'm on VM though.

Cheers!

post-4926-057684700 1341502780_thumb.jpg

Actually ... I AM interested in the Windows part. Care to share how you set things up? What steps you took?

Hi Rhyker,

For the windows setup (which is actually my main use for the D630) I installed windows 7 using just the normal installation. When it installs, by default 2 partitions are created, the C drive, and a 100MB system partition.

My main drive is 1TB, so I have allocated 125GB for windows, 75 GB for Time machine and then for the remainder of the space I have formatted it to exfat. The exfat is awesome, because now I can share the storage space between the 2 OS's.

It's been a while now, but I initially did have some trouble with the partitions. First, there is a limit of 4 primary partitions per disk, and that includes the 100MB system partition. I've included a screenshot of my drives as seen from windows. Disk0 is the bay drive with OSX.

To make the partitions, I did everything in windows, but left the Time Machine space unallocated. Then booted in OSX and made the Time Machine partition to the right type.

Hope that helps! I'm personally going to change the setup very soon. As soon as I get my hands on an SSD I think I'll triple boot from the SSD and use the bay drive with the 1TB for storage!