10.8 DP1 & DP2 on D630

Syonagar

• Administrators

Hi everyone,

With the success of solving the major issue of AppleACPIPlatform.kext in getting 10.7.4 update to work on D series laptop, I attempted to test the similar solution on Mountain Lion DP1 & DP2. Previously, my ML installation ether boot slowly or didn't boot at all. The following are my findings so far:-

(a) For ML DP1, replacing the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the version from 10.6.7 has solve the slow or no boot issue I had previously especially when booting mach kernel in 32 bit mode (i.e. mach_kernel arch=i386). All kexts from EDP 2.2 loaded nicely. Although the IntelGMAX3100 is loaded, as expected there was no graphics acceleration.

(b ) For ML DP2, replacing the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the version from 10.6.7 has also solved the slow boot issue I had previously when booting mach kernel (ML DP2 is a full 64 bit kernel so trying to boot in 32 bit mode will cause the kernel to reboot). Only 64 bit kext will be loaded. Similarly, there was no graphics acceleration as 32 bit AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext cannot be loaded.

So there you go. I'm afraight unless Apple / Intel somehow decided to develop a 64 bit kext which may also be pointless as the X3100 and GMA950 is not able to support openGL 3, 10.7.4 will most likely be the end of the road for my beloved D630.

[This is a reseach / testing topic / post. For any help / assistance please go to the appropriate forum / topic]

Unfortunately I think Lion is the Intel versions' last stand.

nVidia models on the other hand will probably be saved, which is good since I only have nVidia models.

Apple is so unpredictable at times it's not even funny.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

With the success of solving the major issue of AppleACPIPlatform.kext in getting 10.7.4 update to work on D series laptop, I attempted to test the similar solution on Mountain Lion DP1 & DP2. Previously, my ML installation ether boot slowly or didn't boot at all. The following are my findings so far:-

(a) For ML DP1, replacing the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the version from 10.6.7 has solve the slow or no boot issue I had previously especially when booting mach kernel in 32 bit mode (i.e. mach_kernel arch=i386). All kexts from EDP 2.2 loaded nicely. Although the IntelGMAX3100 is loaded, as expected there was no graphics acceleration.

(b ) For ML DP2, replacing the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the version from 10.6.7 has also solved the slow boot issue I had previously when booting mach kernel (ML DP2 is a full 64 bit kernel so trying to boot in 32 bit mode will cause the kernel to reboot). Only 64 bit kext will be loaded. Similarly, there was no graphics acceleration as 32 bit AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext cannot be loaded.

So there you go. I'm afraight unless Apple / Intel somehow decided to develop a 64 bit kext which may also be pointless as the X3100 and GMA950 is not able to support openGL 3, 10.7.4 will most likely be the end of the road for my beloved D630.

[This is a reseach / testing topic / post. For any help / assistance please go to the appropriate forum / topic]

Mr. Syonagar, thanks on the guide for OS X Lion 10.7.4 upgrade and OS X Mountain Lion installation. So far, I have tried your guide on getting my D630 to install Lion 10.7.4 and the other D630 to OS X Mountain Lion (DP3) to no avail, fails to continue in USB install despite the guide. It bothers me that I've not seen any member or user who were successful in doing so (or they are just lazy to let us know). You're the only one who made your system worked. Is it possible for you to write a step-by-step guide on how you did it successfully in detail, please.

Updated: Disappointed, no answer from Mr. Syonagar?