Replacing Kexts on a Kernal Panic

beeson76

I updated to 10.7.4 on a D630, and got the Kernel Panic. How do I replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext, or for this matter any kext when I cannot get it to the Desktop...when I get a Kernel Panic and cant get past it.

Thanks for any help provided.

Thanks for the link Sipart. I appreciate it very much.

Here is the problem. I don't have a bootable usb drive made right now. And I am on the road, so I don't have access to the installation discs. The only think I have is the internet to download the files needed. Is there an easy way of creating a bootable usb stick without an install of OSX (since I cannot get into Lion due to the Kernel Panic)...or is there a way of getting into the Disk Utility.

Thanks again for the help.

If you have access to another mac and you have a USB sata caddy then you could remove the disk from your D630 and replace the downloaded file on the d630 disk on that mac.

Credit to keithdee in the thread above for that lateral thinking :-)

Is that any use? What do you have access to OS and hardware wise?

Thanks again for the help and replies.

As of right now, I don't have access to another OSX Install or computer. I am out of town right now, and won't be back for a couple days. The only thing I could have access to is a USB drive that I could go and buy at the store.

I have access to a Windows Computer of course:) ... just not a OSX computer.

Again any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok this might help.

http://www.osxlatitude.com/creating-a-usb-pen-with-osx-installation/

This is an old guide. Check the requirements and then read the last piece about windows users. This might get you the ability to boot from this stick and get you the ability to get to the terminal and replace the kext. Sorry for my vagueness I have never used this method. The 430 image I reckon will work if you have intel graphics on your d630. This is the only option I can see you have at the moment.