D630 Intel - screen goes black during boot to Install Snow Leopard

moonman

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on a friend's D630 Intel graphics, using my trusty and tested USB pen, created using the old method here. It's worked several times on other Dells. When I try to boot the D630 I get the boot options, choose USB pen as usual, get the boot screen and choose the Installer. The screen goes to the usual Apple logo, with the spinning wheel, then after about 20-30 seconds the screen goes black. The computer is on.

The bios is A17. I've set ACHI and deactivated wifi.

I'm now installing Windows 7 via DVD in order to check if it's a hardware problem.

Any ideas?

P.S. just installed Windows 7 Ultimate and it installed fine.

If your friend's laptop has the high-resolution screen, you'll have to manually set the resolution in the boot.plist to its native 1440x900x32. It might also help if you use Simeonoff's dsdt.aml file instead of the standard included in EDP 2.2

Keep us updated on how it goes, it sounds like your friend has the same laptop I'm working on and I'm running into some challenges with this one.

• Administrators

Dear moonman,

Try this. Create a new SL install usb with myhack 3.1 and run the installer. If the installer fails, use myhack again to install Extra from the osxl bootpack and try to run the installer again with mach_kernel arch=i386 -v -f (so that we can see where it gets stuck). If the installer completed, use the bootpack Extra again on the new SL installation.

If you managed boot into the new SL system , install EDP 1.9.2, run myfix full mode and reboot.

Cheers!

• Administrators

[...]

Create a new SL install usb with myhack 3.1 and run the installer. If the installer fails, use myhack again to install Extra from the osxl bootpack and try to run the installer again with mach_kernel arch=i386 -v -f (so that we can see where it gets stuck).

[...]

Hi, I've tried MyHack 3.1 + OSXL Bootpack USB key method as described in this other thread:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1375-d630-need-help/#entry9336

Not only does it appear fairly slow, but it ends up with blank screen after Apple-logo grey screen with spinning wheel. Difficult to move forward from there on and to know whether it gets stuck or not...

I've tried your suggested option/boot flags but it ends up the same way: blank screen after a split second during which it goes grey. I attach pictures of the last messages displayed just before that (screen2 show very last messages before screen goes dark).

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

There are 2 lines reporting an "invalid firmware" in relation to backlight. Could this be linked?

• Administrators

Hi herve,

Nope its not backlight issues. I just notice that you have high resolution X3100 model. Look around for a modified dsdt.aml for high resolution screen in the forum. I think that's what you need. From the boot messages, the boot went well and the problem is the gui did not load.

Cheers!

• Administrators

Haha, progress... Not full success yet, but big progress!

I've downloaded Simeonoff's 1440x900_dsdt.aml file from the following thread:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/600-d630-half-screen-blank/page__p__3983#entry3983

I've unzipped the file to /Extra directory, so that it contains a dsdt.aml file (there was none before). At restart, boot fails miserably with black screen of death (hi hi hi, sorry, easy but couldn't help it!) ;)

P1000373.JPG

If I restart with -x flag, success, D630 reboots straight on LCD screen and at max resolution. Most things appear to be working, except TrackPad or Audio. Can't be too far off now...

Contents of my /Extra folder is:

- com.apple.Boot.plist

- dsdt.aml (new)

- Extensions.mkext

Extensions folder

themes folder

Contents of /Extra/Extensions:

- AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

- ApplePS2Controller.kext

- BroadcomWiFiInjector.kext

- fakesmc.kext

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

- IOATAFamily.kext

- IONetworkingFamily.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- VoodooBattery.kext

Could there be a conflict between the new DSDT file and the existing com.apple.Boot.plist or that something else is now missing?

• Administrators

Ok, success at last!!!

Rebooted with -x flag as indicated above. Downloaded EDP 1.9.2 and installed the following kexts for D630, Intel X3100 graphic card:

- VoodooPS2Controller

- NullCPUPowerManagement

- SleepEnabler

- VoodooBattery

Then, chose to apply the following fixes:

- Disable Hibernation

- Touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Then, installed Chameleon SVN2.1 rev.1684

Then, launched Chameleon Wizard and applied the update that was immediately offered (I ticked the 'update more bootloader' option before doing the update).

Then, I re-copied Simeoneoff's DSDT file to /Extra and indicated this DSDT file in the 'org.chameleon.Boot' tab of the Chameleon Wizard. The rest was left unchanged before I saved.

-> System reboot, prayer, prayer, prayer......... SUCCESS!!! Straight boot of SL 10.6.7 off LCD screen. Yes!

Might try the 10.6.8 update now...

• Administrators

Life is good and OSXL rocks! Thanks for the suggestions and Mega Up to Simeonoff for his DSDT table.

SL 10.6.8 :D:D:D

Screenshot.jpg

CPU clock & FSB aren't reported at proper/expected speed, but I don't care at this stage!