AW-CE123H not working in Catalina

LyonLeBrun

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

IOReg looks good except no wifi loaded.

You have darwin 19.6.0, so I guess you're running Catalina 10.15.6. No need to install IO80211Family.kext (Mojave) to /L/E. Remove it, repair permissions and rebuild cache. Make sure you have vanilla IO80211Family.kext of Catalina in /S/L/E (untouched). 

If that still not working, try at OC picker, select 'Reset NVRam'. 

The AW-CE123H is the same as the DW1550 and it's working fine on my E7440.

Thanks for the advice and updated config.plist. Wireless still doesn't work, but the symptoms have changed.

Now the Wi-Fi icon is a black-outlined fan shape. Selecting "Turn Wi-Fi On" causes it to go to grey fan for a few seconds before turn to a black-outline fan again.

System Preferences -> Network - Wi-Fi shows a "Turn Wi-Fi on" button, but that has no effect. I attach the latest IORegistryExplorer output.

Here's what I did:

• Removed IO80211Family.kext from /L/E
  • Verified that both IO80211Family.kext and IO80211FamilyV2.kext (untouched) are present in /S/L/E
  • Repaired permissions, rebuilt caches
  • Restarted
  • When the OC Picker came up, used Reset NVRAM
  • Copied your newest config.pilst to /EFI/EFI/OC (Note: the only changes from your original OC EFI version seem to be s/Compatible/compatible/, s/14e4,43b1/pci14e4,43a0/, s/BCM4331/BCM4352/ in "model", and to move the "AirportBrcmFixup.kext" bundle path above the "AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext". Is this correct?)
  • Restarted - and now have the behavior described above

I agree the problem could be elsewhere - what other information can I provide? Many thanks.

Rich's Dell E7440-14Sep2020.ioreg.zip

No change to the behavior (I still have the black outline icon. Choosing "Turn Wi-Fi On" causes it to go to grey fan, then the black outline again.) I used Utilities -> Terminal from Recovery mode to disable SIP (with csrutil disable), then booted back to Catalina disk and ran the kextcache command.

I ran three variations on the kextcache command, since the first didn't seem as if it worked right:

• sudo kextcache -u / (gave Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory)
  • sudo kextcache -Boot -U / (gave message that everything was up to date - I will note that earlier invocations also gave this same "up to date" result) and
  • sudo kextcache -i / (appears to have worked without incident)

(I am hopeful that the second and third commands didn't cancel out the first...) Here's the output:

richb@Richs-MacBook-Pro github % sudo kextcache -u /     
kextcache -u /
Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory

richb@Richs-MacBook-Pro github % sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
kextcache -Boot -U /
kext allow list already up-to-date for boot FDFD814E-85FB-47D0-9042-6CC5576BE60C

richb@Richs-MacBook-Pro github % sudo kextcache -i /
kextcache -i /
kextcache -arch x86_64 -local-root -all-loaded -kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel -prelinked-kernel /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel -volume-root / /Library/Extensions /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions
KernelCache ID: E9A7E7FBE6144200232AC43CBC44FB07
richb@Richs-MacBook-Pro github % 

I then rebooted back to recovery mode, used csrutil enable, and then rebooted back to Catalina. That's where things stand with the black-outline Wi-Fi icon.

I'm still game to try other solutions/dig out other troubleshooting info. Thanks again.

I should also note the my internal drive's top-level /EFI folder has a number of files seemingly created for each boot with a filename of opencore-yyyy-mm-dd-hhmmss.txt, with this data in them:

00:000 00:000 Dependency com.apple.iokit.IOHIDSystem fallback to com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily succeeded. Please fix your kext!
00:185 00:185 Dependency com.apple.iokit.IOHIDSystem fallback to com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily succeeded. Please fix your kext!

opencore-2020-09-14-163048.txt.zip

• Moderators

Ok, that's a good sign your wifi should be working, just not able to turn it on. 

Check your BIOS, do you have WWAN/WiGig/WLAN/Bluetooth Switch enable under Wireless?

On the right side of your laptop, there's a toggle switch. Make sure it's set to ON (not showing red).

The above error is easy to fix. Navigate to the VoodooPS2ControllerR6/contents/Plugins/

There are 2 kexts, open info.plist from both plugins and change com.apple.iokit.IOHIDSystem to com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily under OSBundleLibraries