E7470: Unable to install Catalina on NVME SSD

loganw

WHAT I HAVE DONE:

1. I created the USB installer with the createinstallmedia command
  2. installed clover 5119 and tried with the latest version too
  3. used Clover Configurator and mounted EFI folder
  4. installed bootpack for Catalina
  5. booted up installation with boot args -x -f -v -igfxvesa

Note: Catalina Installer is from official Apple Servers. 

WHAT'S GOING ON:

1. After being greeted with the language selection screen, I selected English.
  2. Opened disk utility and formatted the NVMe SSD to MacOS journaled.
  3. Then, returned to the installation screen... and behold...
  4. I could not see the partition available to install macOS onto.
  5. So I just restarted the laptop and used clover boot loader to try to restart the installation process.
  6. The boot loader did not take me to the installation screen this time, but gave me an error. The error shows at the end of parsing so much code, that the screen goes off and tries to reboot. Literally such a small amount of time. I am unable to see the full error, but it is something along the lines off...
  7. "in memory panic"...

Attached EFI folder.

Catalina 10.15.6 EFI.zip

• Administrators

Did you check that your NVME SSD is not one of those incompatible ones? Please specify model.

NB:

-x boot arg not required to boot a macOS USB installer; a proper/adequate config suffices

-f is not a valid boot arg (Clover has not supported booting without cache for years)

OK -- I am an idiot. It is not an NVMe SSD.

This is what I got from the BIOS: SK HYNIX SC308 series Solid State Drive 2.5" and M.2  512GB

Let me try removing the NVMe kext and see if that solves it.

EDIT: It appears that the EFI Folder does NOT have an NVMe kext and the patch in config.plist is also set to "disabled".

EDIT2: I removed a "SCMHelper" file located in EFI > drivers > UEFI folder and now I am back into the installer using the boot args -v -igfxvesa 🥁 🕺

• Downvote 1

• Administrators

:blink: NVME kext? What NVME kext?

<_< SMCHelper is for installations that use FakeSMC, it's clearly shown when you select the driver at Clover installation.

SMCHelper.jpg

You're using VirtualSMC. It's long been stated that using SMCHelper driver with VirtualSMC kext causes issues and it's clearly stated in Jake's guide that you said you followed...

SMCHelper.jpg

So, a little attention maybe?

hehe -- you're telling a blind man what colours are. 🤪

All those descriptions are just words to me.

I'm installing it. So far, it's restarted twice and I used clover to continue the installation from the SSD. Now it says 10 minutes remaining.

If all goes well...any mandatory steps I have to complete after it's installed and booted into macOS Catalina from the SSD?