Success story D630 and D620 intel graphic

clockwork247

So after all the trouble I've had, and all the help I received on here, I manage to put SL on both my D630 and D620, and I just want to share back on how I did it.

D620: Intel Graphic

Very straight forward. I used the D430USB image that someone hosted on torrent. Then use my window 7 notebook to write the image onto a 16GB USB drive using dd as the guide described (it's harder than it sounds, and it took some figuring out).

Before you put the USB into the D620, make sure wireless is disable, and NIC is also disable blah blah, disable everything that you don't need. There's no SATA option here, so it's just the default.

If you've done it right, it should boot up... run the setup for OSX SL.

after it's done, boot from the USB drive again, but this time boot the HDD up. Use EDP 1.9.2 install all the stuff and you're good to go.

D630: Intel graphic. Will need a mac for this method to work.

very similar, but this one was brain wrecking for me because of the wrong extra folder I downloaded... but now it should work, grab the boot file on Osxlatitude for intel D630, inject that into the D430USB pendrive... simply replace the extra folder... do note that pen drive you will need a SL or some sort of mac OS to access and inject the files in.

Keyboard/mouse will not work during installation, you'll need USB keyboard/mouse.

and the rest is similar to the D620.

To get wifi to work... I ordered a wifi card on ebay, it's call the DW1395, costs about 2.50 USD shipped for me (I ordered 2 so it's 5 bucks total)... at any rate, use kext wizard and inject Broadcom43XXFamily.kext. enable wifi in your bios, and now you'll have internet.

My overview of the 2 computers I have.

the D630 in most ways are better than the D620, the installation is a little bit trickier depending on your luck, but the screen is better, the CPU is better, the temp management is better, more bios options, basically a better unit over all. My D620 screen is higher resolution, so that's the bonus on it, but for the most part I enjoy using the D630 more.

so to sum it up, if you have to get 1, get the D630, it's worth the extra 10-20 bucks (they're about the same price on ebay)...

I actually prefer the intel graphic VS the Nvidia one due to the lower heat output. get one with the higher resolution and it should make a very nice notebook. bad part is that you'll most likely have to purchase more ram like I did, about 35 bucks for 4gb of ram.

well if you ever decide that the d630 will be your main machine and still have the d620 high-res screen, the lids/screens are interchangeable but you need to also swap the ribbon. cheers.

I think the main problem I have is that the D620 screen isn't as nice as the D630, it's not as bright/vivid.

the other problem is that because I bought my D620 for only 40 bucks, the screen has 2-3 spots that's not so perfect (can't see while the screen is on, but it's still kindda annoying lol).

But if I ever need one, i just pick up another D630 with high res screen, I picked up my D630 for 135 with charger + battery (good shape). So I think i might be able to pick up something similar for around 150ish if I need to. I actually like these units, pretty easy to work with and relatively quick).