Dell E5470/E5570 Catalina guide

ktbos

This works on my E5470 i5-6440 1600x900 and on my E5570 i7-6820HQ 1920x1080.  The E5570 has an R7 M370 which is disabled by SSDT.  Just about everything here is compiled from somewhere else on OSXLatitude so this is just my putting it all together to make it simpler for the next E5470 or E5570 user.

1. get Catalina installer and create USB flash drive (UFD) installer per the main Guide
  2. get Clover 5119 and install it on the UFD - don't worry about adding in drivers now; remove the BOOT and CLOVER folders from the EFI folder
  3. get my LatE5470 Bootpack-4.zip, unzip it, and copy the BOOT and CLOVER folders to the EFI folder (where the others were just deleted)
  4. get Clover Configurator and copy it to the UFD top level folder
  5. also copy the Clover 5119 pkg downloaded above to the UFD top level folder and likewise the unzipped Bootpack folder; eject the UFD
  6. on the target computer, use Data Wipe to clear out the storage; then reset the BIOS to "BIOS Defaults"; then change the following: General -> Advanced Boot, change Boot List Option to UEFI; General -> Advanced Boot, ensure Enable Legacy is unchecked; System Configuration -> SATA Operation to AHCI, Yes; Security -> TPM to Disabled (you can leave TPM On checkbox checked); Secure Boot -> Secure Boot Enabled, confirm is set to Disabled; POST Behavior -> Extend BIOS Post Time to 5 seconds; Apply button, check box to save as Custom User Settings, OK
  7. power on target computer with UFD inserted and hit F12 to select the UFD to boot Clover; select "Boot macOS Install from Install MacOS Catalina" (likely the only choice) and hit enter
  8. select Disk Utility to create and format an APFS drive partition named "MacOS"; quit Disk Utility
  9. select Install macOS and follow prompts - it will take about 10 minutes until it reboots
  10. on reboot, hit F12 to choose the UFD again and in Clover select “Boot MacOS Install from MacOS” and hit enter
  11. it will do some more installation for a few minutes and then reboot again
  12. on reboot, hit F12 to choose the UFD again and in Clover select “Boot MacOS Install from MacOS” again and hit enter
  13. this time it will show an Apple logo and take about 12 minutes to complete and then reboot again
  14. on reboot, hit F12 to choose the UFD again and in Clover select “Boot macOS from MacOS”
  15. follow prompts to install
  16. copy the Clover Configurator from the UFD to the target computer Utilities folder
  17. run the Clover pkg from the UFD and install it on the MacOS drive this time (again, don't worry about drivers); remove the BOOT and CLOVER folders from the EFI folder on the target computer
  18. copy the BOOT and CLOVER folders from the UFD to the target computer EFI folder
  19. if your computer has a 2nd graphics card that MacOS doesn't recognize, copy the file named “SSDT-Disable-DGPU.aml” from in the UFD folder “for computers with second GPU” to the MacOS drive in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched where the other aml files are
  20. if your computer has a Thunderbolt port, copy the file named "SSDT-TBOLT3-KGP.aml" from in the UFD folder "for computers with Thunderbolt port" to the MacOS drive in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched where the other aml files are
  21. eject the UFD and remove it - we're done with it (though you can save it for future repair/installs)
  22. double-click on the config.plist in the CLOVER folder to open Clover Configurator
  23. in the Boot arguments, remove the "-v", "keepsyms", and "debug"; set the timeout as desired like 1 or 2 seconds
  24. in the SMBIOS section, click the Generate New next to Serial Number
  25. save the config.plist and quit Clover Configurator
  26. In terminal type the following:

cd Downloads

curl -o ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/Beta/ssdtPRGen.sh

chmod 755 ssdtPRGen.sh

sudo ./ssdtPRGen.sh

n

cp ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

sudo rm -f /var/vm/sleepimage

sudo pmset hibernatefile /dev/null

27. in System Preferences Keyboard, swap the Command and Option keys
  28. Restart the computer and hit F2 to get into BIOS; change the POST Extend Boot time back to zero; change the POST Fastboot to Auto; Apply, Save as Customer User settings, OK; Exit to reboot

29. computer should boot automatically into MacOS and everything should now be working!

Edited by ktbos
version 4 bootpack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1