E5570: Thunderbolt? USB-C?

ktbos

My E5570 has a port that looks like a USB-C port and I think it is Thunderbolt.  In Windows, I can connect a USB drive to it.  But in MacOS, it won't show at all. 

I've tried Hackintool but it doesn't show there under any of the ports.  And I've tried the AML that was posted for the 7490 but no joy there either. 

Any guesses on how to get it working?  Thanks! 

LatE5570-Bootpack-1.zip

• Administrators

You need to finalise your USB ports definition with Hackintool app. USB-c ports are not necessarily TB too; that's an option you select at order time with Dell. If the port supports TB, it'll show in BIOS. If it's not mentioned then it's a plain USB-c port, normally with DP support. Check the logo printed next to the port.

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

You need to finalise your USB ports definition with Hackintool app. USB-c ports are not necessarily TB too; that's an option you select at order time with Dell. If the port supports TB, it'll show in BIOS. If it's not mentioned then it's a plain USB-c port, normally with DP support. Check the logo printed next to the port.

Oh, that's right, I did see something about Thunderbolt in the BIOS.  I remember now.  I just went back to check and it has a section for "Thunderbolt™ Adapter Configuration".  It is set to "Enable Thunderbolt™ Technology Support" and "Security Level - User Authorization" is selected.  So I think that confirms what it is.  Thanks for reminding me about that. 

I'm not sure you mean about "finalise your USB ports definition with Hackintool".  I thought the way I used it was to load Hackintool with the USBInjectAll active and then figure out which ports were in use.  I got all of the regular USB ports that way but nothing comes alive for the USB-C/Thunderbolt port. 

BTW, @Hervé, thanks for your post about the SD card reader.  That was helpful in getting the SD card slot working. 

3 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

Enable / add the USB port limit patch for Catalina. Then use the Hackintool to set the ports. Save and add to your bootpack.

Okay, I've done as you suggest in this post.  When Hackintool comes up, now I see 32 possible ports instead of 16.  But when I put the a USB drive in the Thunderbolt slot, I still get no response.  (When I put the same USB drive in the same slot booting in Windows, I it shows up as a USB drive as expected which means BIOS and hardware are working.) 

Attached are screenshots showing the list before the port limit patch and after the port limit patch.  Note the interesting additional controller in the list at the top.  I'm not sure if that is really on the system or if that is an artifact in Hackintool from when I tried the 7490 kext (which has been removed).  I know that wasn't there when I first ran Hackintool on this computer and don't remember when it first showed up. 

ktbos-E5570-USBports-beforepatch.png

ktbos-E5570-USBports-afterpatch.png

Thanks for looking into this Jake.  I know that the Thunderbolt device is on the bridge named RP05 so I'm going to include a screenshot here of that in addition to the IOReg dump.  Note that the only way to get this to work at all is to boot up with the device connected.  Hotplugging doesn't work even with IOReg. 

ktbos-mac-RP05-1.png

See above for the post with no scavenged AMLs in use.

And in this post, I will write about the behavior I've seen this morning experimenting with AML files found in various places that supposedly enable Thunderbolt.  Many of them are aimed at RP21 or RP01 but I've edited them to switch to RP05 and tried them out.  I can get a USB drive to mount and be visible in the Finder which is big progress.  But again, there is no hotplugging working - I need to boot with the device installed and leave it installed.  Here are the IOReg screenshot and the IOReg dump with one of these AML files in use.  Note how different the branch under RP05 is and how what was a "TTUB" is now "XHC5". I'm not sure how right this is and because the behavior isn't correct, I'm assuming that this is the wrong way to go.  But posting it here in case it helps get things headed in the right direction - or least avoid a wrong direction.  Thanks again, Jake. 

ktbos-mac-RP05-2.thumb.png.628d1e0167afe44a84740b009a23ca70.png

Oops, right, thanks @Hervé.  I've updated the screenshots in both posts so the focus is on the "AlpineRidge" device, which is the 0x8086 0x15B5 device.  In one case, it's a "TTUB" and in the other case it is an "XHC5".  I don't know if either is correct or even correct-ish.