E5570: Thunderbolt? USB-C?

ktbos

@Jake Lo, one more piece of info:  Both without the scavenged AML and with the scavenged AML, Hackintool showed two USB controllers, Hackintool always showed the normal "XHC" (8086 A12F), and Hackintool showed the second controller 8086 15B5 device.  The only difference was whether it was named TTUB or XHC5.  But all of the 26 ports listed below were all type "XHC" regardless - none were connected to "TTUB" or "XHC5".  And therefore, Hackintool never showed the Thunderbolt device in the list.  But then maybe considering the Thunderbolt port to be a USB port is the wrong way of thinking about it.  In which case the USB tab in Hackintool would be entirely irrelevant. 

• Administrators

8086:a12f is the USB3.0 controller built-in the Intel 100 Series/C230 chipset.

8086:15b5 is the USB3.1 controller offered by the DSL6340 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge.

I know that USB-c ports of an Intel chipset controller are detected and listed (it's the case of my Latitude 7490) so, given that your DSK6430 bridge is properly detected in Hackintool, I'd have expected the app to list the associated ports too. Maybe you actually have to select it/click it at the top of the window.

Good to know that you have a computer where the USB-C is working, @Hervé.  So if we can, let's do some comparing. 

Is your port USB-C or Thunderbolt as far as BIOS is concerned?  And how does it operate in MacOS?  Does hotplugging work for you? 

Do you recall what method you used to get the USB-C port(s) working on your 7490?  AML, kext, etc.? 

When you run Hackintool, do you need to do anything special to get the USB-C to show in it?  I had tried yesterday clicking on the different controllers at the top and it doesn't seem to impact anything in the list of ports below but if you find a way to do something like that in Hackintool, definitely let me know.  (I'm running version 3.4.4)

@Hervé, thanks for replying with that info - if you don't have Thunderbolt in your 7490, then it's not worth pursuing the comparisons. 

I found this article from Dell describing which Latitudes had Thunderbolt as optional and both your 7490 and my E5570 are in that list.  And therefore whoever configured my E5570 initially paid for the Thunderbolt and whoever configured Hervé's 7490 initially did not.  And the funny thing is that paying more for the additional Thunderbolt controller actually makes the port less usable in a Hackintosh. 

Also, it's worth noting that my BIOS setup screen doesn't look like the one linked in the article.  And most importantly, I don't seem to have the ability to bypass the Thunderbolt controller to make the port work like a USB-C/DP.  It's wired differently.  Which is why I can't just make my E5570 work like Hervé's 7490.  At least as far as I can tell.

I've also been reading more about the issue of hotplugging Thunderbolt on a Hackintosh and that appears to be the main challenge without many solutions. 

Some have gotten it working for their specific hardware but in all cases I've found so far, they are desktop computers with add-in cards.  And even there, I haven't found anyone declaring success with an Alpine Ridge (8085 15B5) based card. 

Some of the SSDT patches I tried did get additional USB ports to show in Hackintool but they didn't actually sense anything being connected to the TB port - even when I could see it in MacOS.  Other SSDT patches I tried did allow for boot-up Thunderbolt use but no hotplugging and they didn't show in Hackintool at all.  And of course others did neither. 

So it seems the best I'll get with my E5570 is for the Thunderbolt device to be connected at boot-up and stay connected.  Far from ideal and makes it generally unusable for most things.  But for the rare time when I'll need something Thunderbolt-like connected, at least it will be possible with restrictions.  Attached here is the AML file I'm using to get me boot-up and stay connected Thunderbolt access. 

If anyone has any ideas for how to fix it now, reply and let me know!  (Or at some point in the future, if this thread is closed, PM me then!)

SSDT-TBOLT3-KGP.aml.zip

Jake, I clicked on the Precision 5510 link in your signature to take a look at what is getting the USB-C working on that computer - let me know if you have something later than what's in that link. 

Assuming it is the latest, I didn't see anything in the bootpack that's special for Thunderbolt.  No special kext for Thunderbolt - it uses USBInjectAll so there's no special USBPorts kext.  And the UIAC didn't seem to have anything particularly special for USB-C in it. 

I did find two SSDT files that were interesting, though.  The YTBT had the name that was interesting so I looked into that and tested it.  But it's pretty empty and didn't seem to have much effect.  So the "TBT" may be entirely unrelated to Thunderbolt. 

The TYPC file was the most promising since it did include a connection on RP15 which could be similar to the RP05 on my E5570.  And there was stuff in there about "Thunderbolt" and devices named "TB##".  But that didn't seem to have an impact either, unfortunately.  When I used it,

The upshot is I couldn't figure out what in your published bootpack in your sig link is what gets your USB-C working.  So @Jake Lo, what do you think about your 5510 setup is activating your USB-C port?  Is the controller in your 5510 an 8086 15B5? 

One other thought - this could be a BIOS related issue.  I'd be interested in the BIOS version on the 5510 and what the BIOS settings look like for Thunderbolt.  I've got the latest BIOS and I think they have made changes to Thunderbolt in it based on security concerns. 

8 hours ago, Bronxteck said:

https://github.com/osy86/ThunderboltReset

also read the 2 guides at the link. maybe you can come up with a solution for your hardware.

Thanks a lot for that link @Bronxteck.  Wow.  Umm..  Even if I had the tech chops to do it, I don't want to patch the firmware in my Thunderbolt Controller.  So I went with door #2 and looked into using the kext and the native ASL and then modifying it.  But I don't even know what to do with an "ASL" file.  I use MaciASL and it works fine for DSL and AML but I can't get an "ASL" file in it (ironic considering the name).  When I just copy the ASL from github and paste it in a new file in MaciASL, I get errors from the compiler directives - clearly not the right way to do it.  Maybe there's a simple program or technique I'm missing which would be great.  But it may be that to get through that process, I'd need more handholding than I think is worth it.