D820 / MyHack confusion

sstillwell

Hi!

I'm reinstalling Snow Leopard on my D820 (Intel video, Broadcom WiFi, 2.1 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM)...the new installation method is confusing me, though. I'm not certain which Bootpack/EDP/Chameleon I need...it's behaving much worse then the first time I went through this with the older installation method. Specifically, the trackpad is nearly unusable, WiFi appears but never sees any networks, Ethernet LAN doesn't appear at all, and installing EDP and configuring seems to leave the system in a state where all I get is panics when booting.

Can anyone give me a short set of "Download THESE specific items and run them in THIS order" instructions? I'm not stupid and have worked in IT for ages...and part of what I have learned over the years is to not beat my head against a wall when someone else may have the answer. :D

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Hi!

I'm reinstalling Snow Leopard on my D820 (Intel video, Broadcom WiFi, 2.1 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM)...the new installation method is confusing me, though. I'm not certain which Bootpack/EDP/Chameleon I need...it's behaving much worse then the first time I went through this with the older installation method. Specifically, the trackpad is nearly unusable, WiFi appears but never sees any networks, Ethernet LAN doesn't appear at all, and installing EDP and configuring seems to leave the system in a state where all I get is panics when booting.

Can anyone give me a short set of "Download THESE specific items and run them in THIS order" instructions? I'm not stupid and have worked in IT for ages...and part of what I have learned over the years is to not beat my head against a wall when someone else may have the answer. :D

Thanks in advance!

Scott

if the D820 is similar to the D620, then make the bootable USB using the D430USB.ISO image file... and that should get most things to work, after u get in, just install EDP 1.9.2 if you're on SL and if you're on Lion then use the 2.2 EDP.... not sure which wifi you have, but if you have the regular wifi that works with mac, then u need the kext for it. that's pretty much it. I'm almost certain the D620/820 series are pretty easy going with the installation.

if the D820 is similar to the D620, then make the bootable USB using the D430USB.ISO image file... and that should get most things to work, after u get in, just install EDP 1.9.2 if you're on SL and if you're on Lion then use the 2.2 EDP.... not sure which wifi you have, but if you have the regular wifi that works with mac, then u need the kext for it. that's pretty much it. I'm almost certain the D620/820 series are pretty easy going with the installation.

Link? I already have a Mac and a retail Snow Leopard DVD (Family Pack, I'm not even exceeding the number of allowed installations), so I'm not thrilled about the idea of downloading an unofficial build. The EDP already has the kext for the Broadcom wifi, I thought...if it isn't already baked into the SL installation. I was using the latest 1.9.x EDP. I've tried both the Chameleon bundled with the EDP and the latest downloaded Chameleon from their site.

Appreciate the help, but that's not getting me much of anywhere.

Scott

Link? I already have a Mac and a retail Snow Leopard DVD (Family Pack, I'm not even exceeding the number of allowed installations), so I'm not thrilled about the idea of downloading an unofficial build. The EDP already has the kext for the Broadcom wifi, I thought...if it isn't already baked into the SL installation. I was using the latest 1.9.x EDP. I've tried both the Chameleon bundled with the EDP and the latest downloaded Chameleon from their site.

Appreciate the help, but that's not getting me much of anywhere.

Scott

I don't know if the EDP have kext for broadcom wifi, I disable wifi when I do install just so I don't get kennel panic. but it's up to you.

I actually tried both the charmelion bundle and the stand alone version... both seems to work. That's indicate by me booting up and it shows the chameleon screen. that's all it really is, a fake boot that imitate a mac.

so to start, maybe you should disable everything in the notebook and do the install that way, see if it works.

Okay, got it working...wifi, trackpad, sound, ethernet...all seems good.

Only remaining problems found so far are that the Activity Monitor kernel panics the system as soon as you launch it, and the system kernel panics coming out of sleep.

I've repaired permissions, which has fixed the Activity Monitor problem in the past, but no joy.

I've turned off secure virtual memory, set System passwords on the BIOS and done the other steps to disable hibernation...the system goes into sleep properly, and the screen is coming on when it comes out of sleep, but it blue screenspanics almost immediately after that.

Ideas?

Scott

Okay, got it working...wifi, trackpad, sound, ethernet...all seems good.

Only remaining problems found so far are that the Activity Monitor kernel panics the system as soon as you launch it, and the system kernel panics coming out of sleep.

I've repaired permissions, which has fixed the Activity Monitor problem in the past, but no joy.

I've turned off secure virtual memory, set System passwords on the BIOS and done the other steps to disable hibernation...the system goes into sleep properly, and the screen is coming on when it comes out of sleep, but it blue screenspanics almost immediately after that.

Ideas?

Scott

Can you share the process you used to get the system working? Thanks!