Catalina Install Issues on E6540

arcaman6

Hi Guys

Previously installed Catalina on E6530 and works great but now need to install on E6540 for a mate. I started with this thread as it seemed to have all to have an EFI close to my actual laptop but unfortunately unable to get the installer to boot. I have attached my Clover folder. Clover boots for a bit and then hangs - no panic.

Could someone have a look at the files or even suggest a better starting point for my build. Cheers.

Specification of machine E6540 i5-4310M 6MB 480GB SSD Bios A17 (unable to get it to update to a later version but working on it).

20201022_121810.jpg

CLOVER_E6540_Catalina.zip

• Moderators

What happened to your display??! Missing the cover and maybe a bad pixel (pink line in the middle).

Anyway, what's the source of the installer? Clean vanilla or distro?

Do you have the correct BIOS settings set?

Try resetting to default and then set to these settings

UEFI enable /AHCI enable /Secure boot off

The display is a disaster area for sure but it's temporary. The machine came with a FHD display and I thought it was an added complication to install Catalina with it installed.So I have installed a scrap screen from my spares box for the meantime - but it's not pretty.

The installer is vanilla built as outlined in the many excellent guides on the site. OS I think is 10.15.6 and Clover is v5118.

Reset BIOS and set as suggested. Even started with F12 to make sure it was doing a UEFI boot. The version is A17 - unable to update to latest (goes through the motions but doesn't actually do the update when laptop restarts) - but I think it is unlikely that's an issue as A17 fairly recent).

The laptop has an AMD GPU but looks like that is disabled in the bootpack. Are you happy that the bootpack is set up correctly?

Any idea what I could try next?

Cheers

Aubrey

Hi Jake. Removed SSDT.aml but didn't make any difference - still hangs in the same place. I built it on my E6530 but for i5-4310M processor - so would it be good for my E6540 as it has the i5-4310M or it that a big assumption?

found this code in SSDT.aml:

custom mode...........: 0

host processor........: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

target processor......: i5-4310M

number of processors..: 1

baseFrequency.........: 800

frequency.............: 2700

Looks like I'm out of luck with this install. As a final task I think I'll try and reprogram the BIOS chips to the latest version. Not hopeful but it's worth a try.

Many thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Aubrey

• Moderators

Are you sure your USB installer is working? Maybe try creating a new one with different USB.

I see you made some changes, adding a DSDT is not necessary since all the hot patches SSDT are there already.

Shouldn't have SMCHelper.efi if you're using VirtualSMC, conflict. SMCHelper.efi is paired with FakeSMC, but I see you have that as well.

Use one or the other, not both. If you're going to use FakeSMC, stick with ACPIBatteryManager, but if you're going to use VirtualSMC, then pair it with SMCBatteryManager.

I see you have both of them as well. Also you have 2 sets of touchpad kexts: VoodooPS2Controller-R6RC2 and VoodooPS2ControllerR6. 2 sets of Ethernet: IntelMausi and IntelMausiEthernet.

You need to know what each kexts are for before randomly adding them. Less is better, not more. 

Better you start over with a new installer and use the bootpack a few posts up ...EFI_E6540_test