Latitude E6430: trouble installing macOS Catalina

Austin_AJ

• Administrators

You're gonna have to provide more details than that. For now, I can only assume you're trying to boot the USB installer and it's hanging.

Please specify

1) if your E6430 is fitted with Optimus/dual graphics or Intel HD4000 only

2) how you built your installer

3) what bootloader you're using and which version

and

4) post a zipped copy of the bootpack you used (EFI folder) or your debug files

Given the amount of guides and threads related to the E6x30 family models, it's a little surprising that you've not found something that would get you running out of the box so to speak... Make sure you'e also configured your BIOS as per the recommended settings.

• Moderators

Given your cpu is i7-3740QM, I think your model has a discrete graphics. Check the guide that has NVS5200m.

Hint: You'll need to enable Optimus in the BIOS and bootpack should have a patch to disable it so that HD4000 can be use

• Administrators

Dell support web site can also provide all the necessary details based on serial #/tag #. This is E6430 with Intel HD4000 only and originally shipped with a dual core i5-3380M CPU:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-ZGFhbVBiWmh3SER2MTcwSEJCdnZZdz090/overview

Please note the following points:

1. you may update your BIOS to the latest version A24.
  2. apply the HD4000 Capri framebuffer patch/property injection to reduce the FB memory size from 16MB to 8MB and avoid garbled display. See my E6230 Guide for details.
  3. given that your E6430 is fitted with a 1600x900 LCD, you must use the HiRes Capri layout 0x01660004, not the (default) LoRes layout 0x01660003.
  4. given that the HiRes Capri layout only natively supports a single LVDS display output, you'd have to apply the necessary (and documented) patch/properties injection to support additional outputs (DP, HDMI). See the HD4000/Capri dedicated thread in our Graphics forum section for details.
  5. Depending on the exact model fitted to your E6430, the Intel wireless card may be unsupported and require replacement by a (Broadcom) supported card. See our FAQ and/or Wireless forum section(s) for details. If the Advanced-N 6205 card this E6430 was originally shipped with is still in place, you're out of luck as it's not supported at all.