Nawcom Modcd help?

saffant

I don't have a DL DVD nor a retail SL DVD; I do however, have SL on a 8GB flash drive tho (not sure how to verify if the write was successful... used Transmac). I was just wondering if there's a way to follow the AMD guide with Modcd and all using a USB flash drive installer instead of a retail DVD.

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

• Like 1

I just used transmac and got rid of all the printer drivers and managed to shrink the dmg down to 4.59 ish.

I guess ill try to install when i get home....does anyone know a way to tell if the burn was successful? like a way to verify all the needed files are there and it was a clean burn?

• Administrators

Dear saffant / iamnotreallyhere,

When you boot up the modcd, isn't the usb part of the chameleon bootloader selection?

I have not tested this but you could try to copy the /boot file and /Extra folder from the modcd to the usb installer and use dd to burn the boot0 of chameleon to the usb mbr and boot1h to the os x install partition.

DD for windows can be downloaded here : http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Chameleon (including boot0 and boot1h) can be downloaded from here : http://forum.voodoop...g8tf3enhk3i9laa

Cheers!

• Administrators

There are 2 ways to indeed follow the AMD guide with Nawcom bootloader + USB key (8Gb minimum, 16Go+ is best) where an SL image has been restored (needs another Mac to do this):

1) Boot from CD/DVD with ModCD + USB key plugged in. Select the USB key when the various discs appear.

2) From another Mac, apply ModUSB package to the USB key containing SL restored image. You can then boot straight off the key and not use the ModCD, provided your PC supports booting from USB (most do for several years now).

This is a good "general" installation method and I've tested it on an AMD Sempron-based Acer Aspire 7000. Installation process + end result were dissapointing (laptop running like a dead dog, even during installation, possibly due to lack of GraphicsEnabler), but it went to completion.

If you do not have a Mac, you may try to copy the "boot" file + "/Extra" folder of Nawcom to the root of the USB key, then install a Chamelon boot loader on top of things to effectively boot from the key. Never looked at how to do that very last part I must say, I've always used my Leopard-based Inspiron 6000 when I needed a Mac at various stages.