Precision T1650: Graphics card problem

Musictosh

Had my Dell Precision T1650 Hackintosh up and running after not using it for months. When I came in today, the screens had frozen. No response. So I turned off the computer and restarted. Black screens. I discovered the graphics card was very loose in the socket (no screws) and I accidentally managed to loosen it even more while the computer was on. Turned off the computer and made sure the card was well seated in the slot. But now my screens just report “no input”. The fan on the card turns on.

Questions: Is it probably the card that has died or the slot on the motherboard? 

If it is the card, what card could I use instead that is cheap and works right away? The card I have now is GeForce GTX 650Ti 1024M

Can I use Radeon HD 5750? (Found one cheap)

• Administrators

GeForce GTX 650Ti is Kepler (GK106) and allows you tu run OS X up to most recent macOS Catalina/Big Sur versions. On top of this, it is supported OOB. If you want to assess the status of the card, try and test it in another PC. You'd soon find out if it works or not. I'd also check the Precision T1650 BIOS settings to ensure video is set to PEG (PCI Express), not PCI or otherwise.

Radeon HD 5750 will not be supported beyond High Sierra, if it is supported at all (but probably given that models such as HD 5730 or HD 5770 are). It's unlikely it'll work OOB and will require you to find the AMD5000 framebuffer that gives you graphics acceleration and may require to fake id.

So it really depends on the OS X/macOS version you're currently running. But I'll tell you this; there are much newer and arguably better cards than the ageing HD 5750 that'll probably compare in terms of price and performance and that would let you run all recent macOS versions. For instance the Kepler GK208-based DDR5 GT730 which can be obtained for anything between, say, 30/35 and 60/70 $/€. Since it's Kepler, it works OOB too and all output ports are supported (VGA, DVI, HDMI) even concurrently...

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-730-vs-AMD-HD-5750/m12582vsm7753

• Administrators

As long as it's a Kepler GK208 model (PCIe 2.0 x1 / PCIe 2.0 x8), yes but I believe macOS-incompatible Fermi models (PCIe 2.0 x16) are rare. A Kepler GT710 will be supported OOB and with all output ports, exactly like with a Kepler GT730.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?generation=GeForce+700&sort=generation

It's a low-end/entry level card so performance will be far behind that of your previous GTX 650Ti but it's not necessarily an issue if you're not doing any fancy like video editing or gaming or anything else that requires a minimum of graphics power.