lion on d630 (basic system running. Now enable wifi/eithernet/etc)

kallumama

Hello gurus,

I have been trying to install osx lion 10.7 on my off-lease dell latitude d630 for a couple of days now. I used myhack 3.1. Regarding Extra/ folder, I tried the vanilla Extra from myhack and couple of different ones from various ones including this one.

Some specs of my laptop:

- 4GB RAM

- intel core 2 duo

- 1440x900 resolution

- intel graphics

I had disabled the following in bios:

- SATA operation is AHCI under Onboard devices

- Dynamic acceleration is OFF under Performance

- wifi/bluetooth disabled in bios

Now, how do I enable the following. The following don't work:

- ethernet

- wifi (I read couple of places that wifi will never work until I get broadcom internal wifi card. Can someone suggest the model number of the cheapest chip out there)

- sound

- sleep (I tried to close the lid once but the system never recovered from it. I could never recover from it and had to reinstall the system. I couldnt even boot from the myhack boot disk.)

- resolution is stuck at 1024x768 (even when connected to an external monitor)

- UI seems slow (e.g. the animations on the dock are sluggish, typing the password at the login prompt is slow). I am comparing the speed to an imac I have at work which has a similar spec (2GB ram, core 2 duo).

- battery is being reported as 0% charged in SystemPreference->Energy saver even though my laptop is on ac since morning.

Some other issues:

1) Sometimes the system just freezes during boot. To get around it, I try either :

- I reboot and at the chameleon menu, switch the display an external monitor and give -f option. That usually gives an successful boot. I have found that the system hangs less if I use an external monitor throughout.

- I try the above step but dont use the external monitor i.e. let it boot into the internal monitor.

Things that work fine:

- internal KB is working fine.

- my trackpad/mouse is disabled from bios. So, usb mouse works fine.

I know this is a lot of ask so if you can help me with anyone of these that would be great.

Do I need to run EDP to fix these issues or get some kexts

Thanks everyone for reading and your help.

After posting this, I thought of running the latest EDP 3. My laptop didn't have wifi/ethernet. So, I downloaded EDP3 on another mac, zipped it up, unzipped it into /Extra of my laptop. After running EDP, I chose option 1. It solved all my issues including:

- ethernet

- random hangs during boot and after login

- resolution looks amazing on external monitor

- UI on ext monitor is not sluggish anymore.

- sleep working fine (I can choose sleep from apple menu and then restore by pressing any key on KB)

- sound working great

- Haven't felt the need to use -f on chameleon boot menu even once after EDP3.

Thank you so much. Had been banging my head for 2-3 days now.

Remaining issues:

- Biggest issue is display on the laptop itself. I am attaching 2 images and a video which shows how during boot, the display goes from a rotating ball on the osxlatitude apple image to a image where there are multiple vertical lines on the display. Any ideas on this would be appreciated? However, when I connect an external monitor and close the laptop display, the display on the external monitor is amazing. The displays icon in the menubar shows multiple resolutions to choose from.

- clicking on battery icon on menu bar says "Change Battery"

Overall, a very workable machine for ios development. Now, I need to figure out if it is safe to upgrade to 10.7.3. All xcode versions for Lion seem to need it.

20585987562005792001337976158Wmn8XPbcjljrnKg9NKor_m.JPG

179417384517355096421337976180ZhcRt7AKlPl1G2w7UWxF_m.JPG

Thanks syonagar. It worked!

My native display now works at 1440x900 resolution and I am also able to connect an external monitor and get dual displays.

I used the dsdt.aml from this post: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1144-d630-intel-1440x900-lion-success/page__view__findpost__p__9480

I extracted the dsdt.aml and replaced mine in /Extra and then rebooted and Viola, full resolution on the native display. You can't imagine how happy I was when I connected the external monitor and it worked too.

I downloaded the 10.7.4 combo client update from apple and applied. It is getting stuck at: "Still waiting for root device". Yes, I have AHCI selected for SATA in bios.

11061777375775941781338054409hxuwwOoGjKFU621mKuT8_m.JPG

I searched for 10.7.4 on this but found no results.

I am able to boot into the 10.7 mac myhack usb stick and tried removing some extra kexts and then running myfix but doesnt seem to help.

Should I have upgraded to 10.7.3 instead? I dont really care about the version as long as I can run xcode - seems that 10.7.3 is bare minimum to run it.

I noticed some folks here have 10.7.4 in their signatures. Just curious how they were able to get that update.

Thanks again.

Hi kallumama

This thread is all about 10.7.4 and posts with instructions on how to fix after updating:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1363-start-your-engines-1074-is-here/

If you were to start setup of Lion all over again and only wanted to update to 10.7.3 then you can download the 10.7.3 separately:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1407-1073-combo-update-direct-download/

Cheers

Hi kallumama

This thread is all about 10.7.4 and posts with instructions on how to fix after updating:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1363-start-your-engines-1074-is-here/

If you were to start setup of Lion all over again and only wanted to update to 10.7.3 then you can download the 10.7.3 separately:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1407-1073-combo-update-direct-download/

Cheers

I am amazed by the speed of help I get on this site.

Thanks sipart. I followed Leon's instructions at https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1363-start-your-engines-1074-is-here/page__view__findpost__p__9218

My D630 is up and running on 10.6.4. Glad I didnt have to go to 10.7.3

I am amazed by the speed of help I get on this site.

Thanks sipart. I followed Leon's instructions at https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1363-start-your-engines-1074-is-here/page__view__findpost__p__9218

My D630 is up and running on 10.6.4. Glad I didnt have to go to 10.7.3

Hi kallumama, congratulations! You got everything work on D630 10.7.4 (not 10.6.4), including sleep and wifi?

I just did about the same thing with 10.7.3 pen by myhack2.2 and the same dsdt, then upgraded to 10.7.4, upgrade to myhack3.1+EDP3. Everything works except sleep. Everytime I close the lid, it'll go sleep for a second and then awake again as if I hit a key or touched the mouse. I can see the bluetooth lit go off and on...

Maybe I need to create the usb pen using myhack3.1? Or you have special selections rebuilding EDP?