Anyone considering putting Big Sur on E6230?

ac23

• Administrators

I aim to try it out soon and post a detailed guide thereafter as usual.

MBP10,2 is not a platform supported by Big Sur so it obviously cannot and will not install on the E6230 with that SMBIOS without one of the usual workarounds (eg: patched PlatformSupport.plist or -no_compat_check boot arg) or changing the SMBIOS to that of a supported Mac.

Sweet.

The only problem I had with Opencore vs your Clover one was - I could never replicated the 1700+ Geekbench 5 scores with Opencore.

I'm assuming I needed to tweak the ACPI but it was easier to just stay with your Clover EFI. Thanks again for that.

• Administrators

You would be able to do both but I'm pretty sure an unsupported SMBIOS will not let you upgrade from within the macOS version you currently run.

I made a fresh installation over my old Mojave build with -no_compat_check boot arg and that upgraded the old installation Ok (all apps and data kept as before). No reformatting or deletion of the Mojave partition before of course!

I'll post a detailed guide tomorrow but in a nutshell:

• made the Big Sur USB installer with usual createinstallmedia command line and followed Dortania's guide for Ivy Bridge laptop to the letter
  • erased all data from USB key's EFI partition and copied the default OC 0.6.3 EFI folder there
  • copied existing DSDT + CPU power management SSDT to the ACPI folder and all existing add-on kexts to kexts folder
  • copied sample config file to OC folder and opened it with ProperTree
  • did a clean snpashot to prefill the config, then adjusted it as per dortania's guidance
  • booted the Big Sur installer and went ahead with the installation

Note that it'll take some time (about 1hr) and will require 4 reboots to complete.

Edit: E6230 guide now updated for Big Sur.

• Like 2

Hervé - I've had that glitch happen on various build with the E6230. The solution I found was to clear the NVRAM. My memory (brain not RAM) is bad but I'm sure clearing the NVRAM with Clover wouldn't fix the issue - If you simply reset the BIOS to default settings - this causes a definite NVRAM clear, then reset the values (ACHI etc) and the glitch will disappear.

When you say - "copied existing DSDT + CPU power management SSDT to the ACPI folder and all existing add-on kexts to kexts folder" Was this the existing DSDT, SSDT, Kexts from the Mojave Clover EFI Build? I'm assuming that is the case. Which is perfect. Your ACPI is the secret to getting a 1700+ benchmark over the 1400 with the OC pre-builts.

I'll have another go at this now - Thank you for the -no_compat_check boot arg. Solves the issue perfectly. Merci.

• Administrators

It's long been reported and stated that unless you stick to BIOS at or below version A12, you'll get glitchy or corrupt graphics; culprit is Capri framebuffer 0x01660003's default memory size being set to 16MB. Once it is reduced to 8MB, graphics problems disappear. This can be done through binary patching on the Capri framebuffer kext itself or through property injection, which is what you ought to do with OC:

framebuffer-patch-enable    1           NUMBER
framebuffer-fbmem           00008000    DATA

With regards to the patched tables and kexts, I meant those from your previous (or current) installation, be it Mojave or Catalina; basically, you re-use the same stuff.

• Like 1