D520 (GMA 950) Display sleep

bobdamnit

Joe, I redid some testing, and I wanted to re post my findings. I think, now that I know how to properly test DSDT files, I may have been wrong in my previous findings. (Thanks again, Bronx, for the info. It was a superb help!)

After placing EDP's (Quoted is how I renamed them!) "DSDT.aml" file, your first remake, called "dsdt_d520.aml", and your second remake, called "dsdt_d520_pipe1.aml" in /Extra, I rebooted and specified "DSDT.aml" to be sure that it booted with EDP's DSDT.

EDP revision 65 DSDT:

Internal display: Works fine, sleeps fine, wakes up "pixelated"

External display: None detected

Then, I rebooted and specified "dsdt_d520_pipe1.aml".

Internal display: Completely corrupt. Unusable.

External display: Same as above.

Then, I rebooted and specified "dsdt_d520.aml".

Internal display: Works fine, sleeps fine, wakes up great!

External display: Works fine, extended is great, as well as mirrored.

I think you nailed it the first time, however I did not know how to test out DSDT's properly! Thanks to Bronxtec, I finally have both VGA out and proper display sleep! (Semi-proper. I still have to set a hot corner to sleep the display, sleep the display before I close the lid, and then move my mouse towards the hot corner again to wake the screen up. Without the hot corner, the screen will never wake up. Its been this way since Tiger, sadly.)

Yes. I have a system password to wake the screen up from sleep.

The screen only goes stupid when I close the lid and don't let the machine sleep, just sleep the display. If I don't use a hot corner to sleep the display before I close the lid (without the machine going to sleep. Thanks, developers of InsomniaX!) and use the hot corner again to wake the display, the display will not wake up.

So, can someone with a similar machine (or a GMA 950) attempt to reproduce the error? Install InsomniaX/Caffeine/SleepLess (all work) to prevent your computer from sleeping if you close the lid. Then, WITHOUT setting a hot corner to sleep the display (Or not using it, at least.), close the lid. See if the screen wakes up automatically when you open the lid. (Mine does not.) If it does not wake up, try tapping random keys on the keyboard, or moving the mouse/touchpad to see if the screen will wake up. (Mine will not.) If it doesn't wake up, tap the power button and hit "R" to restart the machine.

Then, set a hot corner (bottom left, for me.) to sleep the display and sleep the display BEFORE you close the lid. Make sure the machine does NOT sleep when you close the lid, and invoke the hot corner to sleep the display. Then close the lid. Then, open the lid and move your mouse (you have to use your imagination on this one.) away from the hot corner, and back to the hot corner. Magically, the display wakes up!

This is the only way I can close the lid without having the machine sleep. If I have InsomniaX/Caffeine/SleepLess prevent machine sleep and close the lid without using a hot corner to sleep the display, I lose the display altogether. VGA out in mirrored/extended still work. The machine is still working, as the machine is still responding to keyboard shortcuts. (Tapping Fn+Page Up increases the volume, and I still hear it from the speakers, so I know the machine isn't sleeping. Just the display isn't waking up.)

This behavior has plagued a lot of us GMA 950 users since Tiger. I remember having long forum conversations with other GMA 950 users way back from the JaS 10.4.8 distro all the way to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on why it happens. Some of us even went as far as creating scripts that ran on startup/wakeup that would sleep the display then wake it up again VERY fast. (This was before we knew about the BIOS password workaround, and most people were complaing about the display not waking up from sleep, not realizing that the display wont wake up if you close the lid without sleeping the display first as well.) So its a known problem, just never been any fix as far as I know.

• Administrators

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds that you just want your laptop LCD to turn off/turn on (i.e. display sleep) when lid is closed/re-opened, right? Or do you just want to close the lid without anything happening at all, i.e. no display sleep, no computer sleep?

Whatever it is, it differs from initial design, which is to sleep the computer when lid is closed. So you use 3rd party software (InsomniaX/Caffeine/Sleepless) to try and reach your goal. I don't know how it's done, but I guess those software somehow intercept the call for the code that puts computer to sleep. From your description, it also appears that those software do not put the display to sleep and that you have to use hot corner to do that, right? Or does closing the lid, with those software enabled, still put display to sleep but opening the lid failing to wake it?

I'm failing to comprehend how a DSDT edit would help you here.

I recently played around with hot corners on all my Latitudes. Works great, I can either put display to sleep or launch screensaver. With display sleep, I do not have to return to the specific hot corner to wake display, I simply press a key or move the mouse.

If that does not work anymore once your 3rd party software is installed, I'd say the problem comes from them. Don't you agree?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds that you just want your laptop LCD to turn off/turn on (i.e. display sleep) when lid is closed/re-opened, right? Or do you just want to close the lid without anything happening at all, i.e. no display sleep, no computer sleep?

Whatever it is, it differs from initial design, which is to sleep the computer when lid is closed. So you use 3rd party software (InsomniaX/Caffeine/Sleepless) to try and reach your goal. I don't know how it's done, but I guess those software somehow intercept the call for the code that puts computer to sleep. From your description, it also appears that those software do not put the display to sleep and that you have to use hot corner to do that, right?

When I close the lid, I want the display to sleep but NOT the laptop. There is an option for this in Windows and Linux. The only way to accomplish this is with InsomniaX/Caffeine/SleepLess in OS X.

That is exactly how these 3rd part softwares work. They intercept the call for sleep on clamshell close and disable it. And the display does sleep when you close the lid. But if you do not sleep the display before closing the lid, it will NOT wake back up. I'd even prefer if the display didn't go to sleep. Then I wouldn't have to dink around with hot corners for sleeping the display.

Or does closing the lid, with those software enabled, still put display to sleep but opening the lid failing to wake it?

Exactly! This is exactly what is happening!

However it is worse than that. Closing the lid with these softwares enabled will indeed sleep the display. (Like it should!) Except when I do this WITHOUT sleeping the display first via a hot corner (confusing, I know.) nothing I do will wake the display back up. This is not normal operation. If you use this software on a real Mac (I've used it on the MacBook Pro I used to have), the screen should sleep when you close the lid, and wake back up (without touching a single key or the touchpad) on its own when the lid is opened. That doesn't happen at all, on my D520. In order for me to close the lid properly, I have to sleep the display before I close the lid, and after I open the lid.

I'm failing to comprehend how a DSDT edit would help you here.

I never said it would, but thats where I think the problem lies. Nor did I say I wanted anyone to look into it, other than confirming their GMA 950 operates the same and that I'm not going bananas lol. I was merely commenting on the fact that its back to what I consider "normal" operation for OS X. ;)

I recently played around with hot corners on all my Latitudes. Works great, I can either put display to sleep or launch screensaver. With display sleep, I do not have to return to the specific hot corner to wake display, I simply press a key or move the mouse.

I too, can use the hot corner to sleep the display and press any key to wake the display. It even wakes up if I use the mouse. So, doesn't it seem strange to you that if I sleep the display with the hot corner, close the lid with any of these software enabled so that the machine won't go to sleep, open the lid, and the LCD display doesn't react to a key press or a mouse movement like it should? Why do I have to move the mouse BACK to the hot corner to wake the display? Why won't the display wake back up if I don't have a hot corner to sleep the display? (It literally won't. I have to reboot the machine to get the internal LCD display to work again.)

If that does not work anymore once your 3rd party software is installed, I'd say the problem comes from them. Don't you agree?

There is no way to test this, that I know of. There is no setting in OS X to disable clamshell sleep so that the machine wont sleep when I close the lid. So I have to have one of these softwares installed and running to test this. So whether or not it worked "before" is a moot point because there's just no way to tell if it operated this way before any of these softwares were installed.

Ok, so I disabled sleep altogether. (Gotta love pmset!) When I close the lid, the display sleeps like it should. However, upon opening the lid, the internal LCD display does not wake back up like it should. No amount of touchpad movement or keyboard tapping will wake the display back up. 

A hot corner to "sleep" the display will wake it back up. 

This proves to me that its a problem with either my machine, my DSDT, or OS X. It is not the software that is causing this issue. 

I don't believe it is the D520 DSDT, because it happens with the DSDT from EDP on the D620 GMA as well. I don't believe it is a problem with OS X either, because on a normal Mac, it operates the way it should. That only leaves the LCD display as a culprit. As the LCD operates normally in Windows or Linux, I'm leaning towards the LCD display is just fine.

So, I just don't have a clue. I wish someone with a GMA 950 would attempt this, and see if theirs performs the same way. (If you need the terminal command to completely disable sleep, let me know. I'll provide it to you so you don't have to install any of the previously mentioned softwares.)

It is not a sleep issue, Bronx. It is a !DISPLAY SLEEP! problem.

Clamshell sleep is disabled so that the machine WILL NOT sleep when I close the lid. The display should turn off when I close the lid (not the machine) and it does. The display should turn back on when I open the lid. (It does not.)

Here, I'll run the steps I took to make this happen....

1. Disable clamshell sleep in Terminal

2. Close the laptop display. (Machine wont sleep, just the display will turn off!)

3. Open lid

4. Do anything. Screen will not turn back on.

Here's how I MUST turn the display back on...

1. Disable clamshell sleep in Terminal

2. Open System Preferences/Mission Control/Hot Corners (Set hot corner to SLEEP DISPLAY)

3. Close lid (Machine will NOT sleep. Only the display should turn off.)

4. Open lid

5. Do anything. Screen will not turn back on

6. Move mouse towards hot corner and then away. Screen magically turns back on.

Keep in mind that I AM DISABLING CLAMSHELL SLEEP! The machine no longer has the ability to sleep when I close the lid. So when I close the lid, I do not want the machine to sleep. I only want the display to turn off. So this isn't a sleep problem.

In fact, I just put the machine to sleep via the Apple Menu and woke it up. Sleep performs normally. (The display turns back on.) But if I DO NOT sleep the machine and just close the lid (With clamshell sleep disabled so that it WILL NOT sleep when I close the lid) the display turns off like it should. When I open the lid back up, it will NOT turn back on.

This isn't normal operations. And I hope I explained this better.

• Administrators

ok. d620 nvidia has a similar issue with display sleep. there used to be a solution that used sleepwatcher and it would trigger a script that briefly switched resolutions to turn on the display. maybe if you used something similar you can have it trigger what the hot corner does... but then again... it is only display sleep so idk how it would work out.