[Solved] BT module detected by e6230 but not e6430

scram69

I have the same exact DW1510 (BCM94322HM8L) in my e6230 and e6430.  Both are running Catalina under OpenCore.

For some reason, the bluetooth module shows up on an internal USB port in the e6230, and Bluetooth works provided that port is enabled in my USBPorts.kext.  But I cannot get it to show up in the e6430, even when I boot with USBInjectAll.kext and apply the port limit patch in OC.

I have even swapped cards between the two laptops just to make sure one wasn't bad.  Wifi works on both laptops.

Is there some fundamental hardware difference that would prevent the bluetooth module from accessing internal USB in the e6430?

• Administrators
On 11/20/2020 at 5:35 AM, scram69 said:

[...]

Is there some fundamental hardware difference that would prevent the bluetooth module from accessing internal USB in the e6430?

Oh yes! The very absence of a bluetooth card/module in the laptop...

As JakeLo said, DW1510 is not a combo card and so, carries no BT module. I've modified your thread's title as a result...

You may not be aware that, like many of its D Series or E6x20 predecessors, E6x30 laptops had an optional Bluetooth card too. It's a tiny flat rectangular part of approximately 40x10mm hooked by a cable to one of the motherboard's small pin connectors. I invite you to consult the owner and/or maintenance manual pertaining your laptop on Dell's web site (support section) to check out the matter.

I expect your E6230 laptop to be fitted with such a module (DW380 carrying id 413c:8197) when your E6430 isn't. You'd quickly see this by consulting either your SysInfo->USB page or browse your IOReg with apps such as IORegistryExplorer. If you disable Bluetooth in BIOS, that applies to the built-in Dell module, not to any combo card that may be fitted to a mini-PCIe port. So, if you did that, you'd soon find out too...

For instance:

E6230_DW380.jpg

'shows how much it pays to know the hardware specs of one's Hackintosh in details...

Thanks to Herve's physical description I was able to identify the tiny DW380 module in my e6230.

Based on a post elsewhere, I had been mislead into believing that the BCM20702A0 that was showing up in IOReg Explorer was actually a part of the BCM94322HM8L card.

I should have known to come here first - you guys have knowledge of these laptops that is unparalleled anywhere else...

• Administrators

This is something that most of not all people should be able to do on their own; it's basic information seeking through Google and manufacturer's web site. People rely far too much on spoon-feeding and other people's assistance for the most basic stuff...