n00b with an e6520 and a kernel panic

bpedman

Hi, so I am completely new to installing OS X on a PC. I have tried to get things going but have run into a snag.

Here is what I have:

- Used myHack 3.1 to create USB installer for 10.7.4

- Followed most of the steps from here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1387-myhack-31-on-e6500-1074-good/

- Renamed /Extras/Extensions to backup-Ext

- Copied DSDT.aml from https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1100-dell-e64006500-research-thread/page__view__findpost__p__7447'>https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1100-dell-e64006500-research-thread/page__view__findpost__p__7447 to /Extra

- Copied smbios.plist from https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1100-dell-e64006500-research-thread/page__view__findpost__p__7447 to /Extra

- Renamed AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext to AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext.original10.7.4 in /S/L/E

- rm -rf /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext

- Added VoodooHDA.kext to /S/L/E

- Also set HDD to AHCI mode in BIOS

- As for specs on my machine I have:

- CPU: Intel® Core i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

- Graphics: NVIDIA 4200M

- Network:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35)

When booting off the USB stick I hit a kernel panic having to do with AppleACPIPlatform.

post-5105-068072100 1338101502_thumb.jpg

I am not sure what to do...tried removing, that didn't help...tried -x boot option, didn't help...any ideas what to do or what is going on?

Thanks

OK, so I just re-created the USB installer using myHack and decided to try it without any modifications and it actually boots now and I can get into the installer (yay!). I will try out EDP 3.0 after I get it installed (thanks for pointing out that exists).

However, I now have a question on how I can save my existing disk partitions. I was expecting to be able to select and re-format an existing partition in the installer but apparently that doesn't work, I would have to delete all my partitions and start over.

Is there any way to keep my existing Ubuntu installation and just install OS X on another partition and dual boot?

Thanks

• Administrators

Dear bpedman,

You'll need to use a linux live cd and shrink your existing partition to allow for a new second partition to install os x into.

After that, use disk utility to format the new partition to hfs plus and install os x into it.

Once you've finished install, chameleon will be installed into your mbr. So, you need to reinstall grub to your first partition (not mbr) so that you can boot into ubuntu.

Cheers!

OK so I formatted my second partition as hfs+ from inside Ubuntu and was able to complete an install successfully. The only thing I had to do during the install was open the Disk Utility and enable journaling on the 2nd partition before it would let me install to it.

Prior to installing I checked out EDP 3.0 to my USB stick into a separate folder so I could use it once I installed (since I noticed during the previous attempt that it didn't detect my wifi card).

After I finished the install, I booted up to my new installed system and copied over the EDP 3.0 to / and ran edptool.command. I rebooted and now I am back to square one. I am getting the same kernel panic as in my original post, now I am just getting it on my installed system instead of the install.

Luckily I made a copy of my MBR (using dd) before doing the install. I copied it back over and am able to boot back into Ubuntu now. So...back to my original question, any idea what the problem is that is giving me the kernel panic with AppleACPIPlatform.kext?

Also, I am still not quite sure what I need to do to be able to dual boot OS X and Ubuntu. You say to install grub to my first partition. Does that mean I need to run grub-install (or something) against /dev/sda1 which is currently my installed Ubuntu partition? Or do I need to create a new separate /boot partition?

Thanks for the help!

• Administrators

Dear bpedman,

Yes. You need reinstall grub with grub-install /dev/sda1 --force (force is required as it is not install to an MBR). After that, you can re-install chameleon and dual boot. If you do not want to display the grub bootmenu, you can set display time to 0 in /etc/default/grub and run grub-update again.

Pertaining to the appleacpiplatform.kext KP:-

(a) Re-run myfix full mode and try to reboot with mach_kernel arch=i386 -v -f

(b ) If that doesn't work try to apply the coolbook fix in EDP and reboot with mach_kernel arch=i386 -v -f (it will replace the appleacpiplatform.kext with one from SL)

Cheers!

(b ) If that doesn't work try to apply the coolbook fix in EDP and reboot with mach_kernel arch=i386 -v -f (it will replace the appleacpiplatform.kext with one from SL)

How do I run EDP without being in the system itself? It appeared that it expected to be run from / only. I noticed it makes you verify the paths for /S/L/E and /E/E and such but does it offer an opportunity to change those paths?

I am wondering if I would be able to run EDP from the USB installer..

Thanks

• Administrators

Dear bpedman,

You can download the kext from below and replace the kext manually:

http://team.osxlatitude.com/?dir=fixes/coolbook-lion

For your information, you need to remove or move the original AppleACPIPlatform.kext inside /System/Library/Extensions and copy the one from the link above into it (you can use terminal under utilities in the installer). After that, run myfix to repair permission and reboot.

Cheers!

OK, so I realized I was running edptool from the wrong location this whole time...I was copying everything from edp 3 to / instead of Extra....whoops.

So I ended up reformatting my whole drive because I kind of messed up the mbr along the way...was still able to get into Ubuntu and saved off my stuff but I couldn't boot without the USB installer.

Also, in the process of trying to figure out what to do about the AppleACPIPlatform thing I saw in another forum that updating the BIOS might help, so I went ahead and updated my BIOS to the latest revision.

Then I re-installed OS X and was able to use edptool. After rebooting the first time I got a different kernel panic about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. So I copied over NullCPUPowerManagement into /E/E and re-ran myFix and now I can boot into the system (hurray!).

One nice thing is now I can use the touchpad for a mouse instead of having to use an external one (probably just the VoodooPS2*.kext?). However, the monitor doesn't display correctly, I only get 1280x600 or something..and only gives me one resolution to select

I also don't get any sort of networking, neither wired nor wireless work.

Also, how does using NullCPUPowerManagement affect the system? Is it going to drain the battery pretty quickly?

Thanks again for all the help.

• Administrators

Dear bpedman,

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext basically disable the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. There are replacement kexts voodoopstate and intelcpumonitor. The voodoopstate enables speed step which automatically control your cpu frequencies (and hence temperature and battery consumption).

The EDP 3 does not support fully your E6530 yet. So you may need to look around for a kext for your 82579LM network card. As for wireless, you will need to purchase a wifi card that os x support such as broadcom as your intel wifi card is not supported.

For your resolution, look around in the forum about graphics enabler and graphics mode for nvdia cards to solve your resolution issues.

Cheers!