E6430 - HD4000 Big Sur (no nvidia)

leppy700m

• Moderators

I guess it's due to this

I have set smbios to MBP11,1 so it'll be compatible to Big Sur. I guess you could try changing the SMBIOS to MBP11,2 instead.

You might have to rename every instance of MBP11,1 to MBP11,2 in the info.plist of USBPorts_E6430.kext

• Administrators

I have repeatedly been able to install Big Sur on my E6230 with SMBIOS of unsupported MacBookPro9,2 and MacBookPro10,2 with -no_compat_check boot arg. The issue at hand must be something else.

@leppy700m, post a zipped copy of your EFI folder so that we check it out. You may also refer to my E6230 guide for general guidance though I've left out some properties injection out of the OpenCore config given that they were already in the patched DSDT (ECDV->EC, EHCx->EH0x, IGPU properties, etc.).

You may use these E6430 HD4000-only packs for your OpenCore setup; just copy the files and folders of the packs to the OC folder of your EFI partition/folder and replace any existing stuff.

For an E6430 with nVidia graphics, enable Optimus in BIOS but disable the dGPU through DSDT/SSDT patching. JakeLo posted the necessary stuff in several E6x20/E6x30 NVS x200M threads. JakeLo will correct me if necessary. Meantime and/or in the interim, you may just boot with boot arg

-wegnoegpu

added to the NVRAM section. See here for more details.

• Administrators

I can assure you that there is nothing in the kexts folder of the packs I posted that could be specifically for Clover. You know, kexts are the same whether you boot with Clover or OpenCore and the same goes for caching kexts from /L/E.

On the other hand, the OC EFI you posted contains many incorrect items.

ACPI:

• No patched DSDT.
  • SSDT-EC which is Ok for older systems (up to Broadwell) such as your Ivy Bridge E6430.
  • SSDT-EC-USBX which is for newer systems (Skylake and later) and therefore irrelevant for you. Delete this.
  • SSDT-PM is for a quad-core i7-3740QM, I assume this is the CPU you have, therefore correct CPU PM SSDT; if not, you know the drill...

Drivers:

• No need to include them all. You only need to use and declare those drivers you need: Audio (if you want startup chime), OpenRunTime, HfsPlus and, if you use the OC GUI, OpenCanopy.

Kexts:

• Several conflicting drivers here...
  • AirPortBrcmFixup vs. FakePCIID+FakePCIID_Broadcom_Wifi. Remove the latter 2, they've been kind of obsolete for some time now.
  • USBPorts_E6430 vs. USBInjectAll. Remove the latter; it's either USBPorts or USBInjectAll+SSDT-UIAC (which you don't have).

OC Config file:

• calls for a DSDT that's not there.
  • does not call for the CPU PM SSDT that's in the ACPI folder. Therefore no CPU power management...
  • Device Properties: injects correct properties for HiRes LCD but retains limitations to single display port (built-in LCD) only. Further properties are required if you want additional display ports, at least HDMI.
  • Kernel: properly selects desired kexts and removes any contradictions mentioned above
  • Drivers:  setup only selects those you want but I don't know if you should have ApfsDriverLoader.efi rather than HfsPlus.efi. I actually wonder where your ApfsDriverLoader module is coming from. Clover?
  • PlatformInfo: there is absolutely no reason why you would use the SMBIOS of Haswell MacBookPro11.1 when you should be using SMBIOS of Ivy Bridge MacBookPro9,2 or MacBookPro10,2.
  • NVRAM: applies -igfxnohdmi. May be you want to revise this once you inject properties that'll support HDMI output.

I can only suggest you use the packs I provided above given that current setup looks quite incorrect to me. A particular aspect to pay attention to is your CPU model and the CPU PM SSDT that you need to use or generate accordingly.

I also strongly recommend that you post your E6430 specs so that we avoid wasting time on trying to provide assistance in the dark. It's highly desired to post such specs in signature...

Herve,

Yes, DSDT is there.

How is CPU power management done in the pack you provided?  It has no SSDT-PM and no call to in in config.plist

Right now, I'd settle for the built-in display.

My EFI is coming from Jake Lo's bootpack, like everything else except the SMBIOS config and SSDT-PM

Big Sur would not install using anything less than MacBookPro11.2

RIght now I am more concerned about the laptop display shutting off after the apple logo is first displayed.

My E6430 will not even begin to boot with the boot packs you provided.  First hurdle - configured to use VAULT - security section in config.plist is incomplete.

What version of OPENCORE are you using? 

Are you using it with the release version of macOS 11.1?

My E6430 specs are as follows:

• i7-3740QM
  • HD 4000 only
  • 1440x900 
  • 16GB RAM
  • Webcam
  • No fingerprint sensor

Edited by Hervé
Removed unnecessary multiple quotes

• Administrators

We'd all be grateful if you'd go easy on the permanent quoting; it really isn't necessary and quite messy.

I gave you packs, obviously without the CPU PM ssdt since I could not guess what CPU you had. As clearly stated, they're not full OC EFI folders! If you tried to boot with nothing else, you indeed must have failed miserably... All you have to do is make your OC EFI folder following Dortania's current documentation and then, update it with the stuff in the packs I gave you. Then add your CPU PM ssdt and update the config accordingly. I thought it would have been common sense and easily understood.

With OC 0.6.3, your default EFI updated with my pack's contents and SMBIOS MBP10,2, you'll be able to install Big Sur 11.0.1 as shown in my E6230 detailed guide.

Good luck!