E6430: minimal brightness level

troorl

Hi.

The problem is that the lowest brightness level is too high. It's adjustable and the controls work fine, but it's just too bright. In Mojave and Clover I used AppleBacklightInjector.kext to solve it. It still works and lowers the minimum brightness, but together with Whatevergreen.kext it causes instability and sometimes prevents the system from waking up. Also overall performance degrades for some reason. So I had to get rid of it. Can't find any viable alternative.

I'm using Big Sur, Opencore and SSDT-PNLF provided on Whatevergreen github (although I'm not sure if I'm supposed to modify it; tried both GFX0 and IGPU). I also tried to delete the PNLF section from Hervé's DSDT, didn't help.

Thank you!

Perhaps I copied a wrong file. Brightness level certainly got adequate, but there is the same problem as with AppleBacklightInjector.kext: it fails to wake up sometimes. In particular, it never wakes up properly when HDMI is plugged in, always shows black screen with nothing going on (the second screen is also black and unresponsive). The files I posted above didn't have such a problem, I checked it rigorously many times. I wonder, what can be the issue here.

Sure, I don't use it anymore. The problem remains though. That DSDT with a PNLF section in it is perfect in terms of stability, and the only thing it lacks is a proper brightness level.

Same DSDT without a PNLF section combined with different SSDT-PNLF's gets the brightness right, but is inconsistent in terms of waking up.

Either this or that.

Okay, so I went on a bit of a journey and by the process of elimination established that the issue must be in Hervé's DSDT. It's the only thing that is consistently present when the system fails to wake up properly. Or, more precisely, it's a combination of that DSDT and something else.

I ended up using Jake Lo's setup with OC 0.6.2, which for some reason I had to edit manually, because ProperTree always yielded an unbootable config. I added a few things there, completely replaced the kexts because I couldn't get bluetooth working. And I updated my BIOS to A24.

Finally everything seems to work and be stable. The only little annoying thing is that Fn+Up/Down is a bit glitchy, but I couldn't care less about that. Here is the end result, I hope it will help someone.

OC_E6430_A24_DW1510_1366×768_i5-3320M.zip

• Administrators

I don't recall ever creating a patched DSDT for an E6430; if you're using my E6230's patched DSDT on an E6430, don't be surprised to encounter issues. We've never recommended nor advocated using any given patched DSDT on a different computer model...