D430 Lion Display is gloomy compared with Windows

Jerome

After installing Lion 10.7.3, the screen looks darker than Windows XP. Even when using AC supply, and tuned to the highest brightness, it is still not so bright as XP.

Have you guys encountered the same problem? Does this problem relate to the configuration of video driver?

Jerome

• Administrators

Dear Jerome,

By the way, what is your graphics card? Is it GMA 950? If it is, have you applied the GMA 950 brightness fix?

Apart from that, have you updated to EDP 3? I believe it has a few fixes that improve screen brightness.

Cheers!

Dear Syonagar,

You are right! After applying the GMA950 brightness fix from EDP 3, it looks perfect!

Thanks again for your valuable advice!

Regards,

Jerome

Dear Jerome,

By the way, what is your graphics card? Is it GMA 950? If it is, have you applied the GMA 950 brightness fix?

Apart from that, have you updated to EDP 3? I believe it has a few fixes that improve screen brightness.

Cheers!

Nevermind! Got it to work.

Had to go to System Preferences > Displays. Then move the brightness slider all the way to the right (i.e. MAX)

After that, my screen illuminated with brightness!

Also, I could finally manually adjust the brightness with fn+dim/bright keys (which didn't work before).

All in all, I guess the GMA Brightness Fix is already integrated into the latest EDP build, but for me, I just had to go in System Preferences to take advantage of it.

EDIT: Hmmmm, wait, it seems like the brightness settings reset every time I boot my laptop. I have to go to System Preferences and adjust the brightness manually every time. Maybe I DO need the GMA fix? And if so, where is it located in EDP? I looked under "fixes" and I can't find it.

Edited by unclem23

I don't have a D430 at hand, but can you check the Video settings of the BIOS? There is a brightness default setting there on D6x0... I'd suggest to set it to max there too.

Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the problem.

moddw.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edit - Very odd behavior. The brightness will be perfect throughout the entire "OSX Latitude loading screen", but as soon as it hits the login, the brightness goes down and the function key stops working. It's not until I bring up Preferences and manually adjust the brightness in System Preferences is when the function keys start working again.

• Administrators

Dear uncle,

The gma brightness fix is already part of EDP. Dont need to apply it separately.

On the other hand, try to remove the appleintelintegratedframebuffer.kext from /Extra/extensions and see if there is any different.

Cheers!