Google Pixelbook: unable to obtain graphics acceleration on KBL HD 615 under macOS

olm3ca

• Administrators

A small update from my part:

I have ordered an i5 model and a usb cable for patching WP/bios on my i7 model - the i7 have nvme disk so it should be able to boot native.

For i5 users, a thumbkey usb-c key with bootloade rmight be a work around

I'm asking the developer of the Pixelbook firmware (MrChromebox) to see if we can change that, there are no settings I can manipulate myself. Meanwhile, no other attempts have yielded any results - the only two platform-ids that work continue to be 16590000 or 01001659. 

• Like 1

Happy new year to everyone and thanks again for the help provided previously. As an update on this: DVMT is confirmed as set to 128mb. Unfortunately, after many (many!) tries of every possible framebuffer / platform-id / device-id combinations for the HD615, I'm seeing that this is a problem with MrChromebox's UEFI firmware on ChromeOS devices and Mac OS Catalina. This post on InsanelyMac is from a year ago, and details exactly the same problem I've been having. Whenever framebuffer args are used, the system locks up at [IGPU] Render Compression for IOSurface is Enabled. Other users (Reddit post) with this graphics card, HD615, have also reported similar problems in Catalina.  

As I've stalled out on Catalina, I've started the process to get Mojave running. Right now, the initial installer locking up at "disk is not convertible to apfs" even after going to Disk Utility, show all devices, format as APFS with GUID. I've tried many different types of drives (SSD, external HD, etc) and none are working. It always happens when there are 2 minutes remaining in the install.

Thanks for the support once again.