arch=i386 - Why used in plist file for D830?

nesnfsn

Here's my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file settings:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

<key>SystemType</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>LoginToLion</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Would someone please explain why I have to use the arch=i386 with a D830 nVidia laptop having a Core2Duo CPU? I truly do not understand, and was hoping I could get the laptop running in true 64-bit mode.

Also are the key/string combos for the following necessary, and if so, please explain:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>Yes</string>

• Administrators

the thing is with that arch=i386 some of the trackpad options are 32 bit only and some models are intel which do not have 64 bit video drivers, in order to maintain compatibility then we run it at default 32 bit, feel free to select a 64 bit trackpad option and remove i386 to as Nvidia, Core2duo D830 supports 64 bit.

Kernel

mach_kernel

UseKernelCache

Yes

is used to speed up your boot times.... feel free to remove em if you like long lasting boots... cheers

the thing is with that arch=i386 some of the trackpad options are 32 bit only and some models are intel which do not have 64 bit video drivers, in order to maintain compatibility then we run it at default 32 bit, feel free to select a 64 bit trackpad option and remove <string>i386</string> to <string></string> as Nvidia, Core2duo D830 supports 64 bit.

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>Yes</string>

is used to speed up your boot times.... feel free to remove em if you like long lasting boots... cheers

So, I will try deleting the key/string combo for arch=i386, and see how it works.

Is your last comment related to both the Kernel and UseKernelCache keys, or just the UseKernelCache key? Either way, does it affect anything other than the length of time that booting lasts?

Thanks for the detailed response, it helps me understand the concepts involved.

nesnfsn in sunny South Florida

• Administrators

we define the kernel Kernel

mach_kernel

because there is a chance of chameleon not finding mach_kernel... rare but can and has happened.

as for the kernel cache yes it is for speed of boot purposes, lion does not read .mkext extensions any longer neither does mountain lion. without using the kernelcache it would have to load all files from E/E and S/L/E before booting the os.

we define the kernel <key>Kernel</key>

because there is a chance of chameleon not finding mach_kernel... rare but can and has happened.

as for the kernel cache yes it is for speed of boot purposes, lion does not read .mkext extensions any longer neither does mountain lion. without using the kernelcache it would have to load all files from E/E and S/L/E before booting the os.

Your replies have truly been insightful. Thank you.

Is there any posting on these forum that explains the various key/string settings for org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and the purposes for the key/string settings? That would be great!

Thanks again,

nesnfsn in sunny South Florida