Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

Leon, if this is a reaction on my screen capture (and more) problem, I hope you can do better than this...! :$

I think it's a very annoying problem, and I don't want to install Lion. I bought specially this D430 for running 10.6.x. Before I upgrade my real Apple laptop to 10.7, I need an alternative, because I need some programs under SL.

Let's try this over:

Make your USB stick, but don't use myHack! DO NOT ON SNOW LEOPARD... Last thing you want to do. Here's what you want to do:

Insert your Snow Leopard install DVD or if you have a DMG image that works too. Go to disk utility and format a USB stick with Master Boot Record and Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Go to the Restore tab, and for source, click "Image" and select your Snow Leopard DMG file or from the DVD menu if you have the DVD version. For destination, drag your formatted USB drive to the destination section. If you are making it on Snow Leopard, be sure "Erase Destination" is selected. On Lion and Mountain Lion it does it by itself. and then click restore. Enter root password and let it copy away!

Now download the latest certified Chameleon bootloader from here: http://www.osxlatitude.com/files/Chameleon.pkg

Download this bootpack and put it on the root of your USB stick: http://www.osxlatitude.com/packs/Dell/Dell_Latitude_D4x0-sl.zip

Now boot from your USB stick using "-v" or "-v -f -x" and then install OS X. Make sure the hard drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Table. Now install and when it's done, update to 10.6.8 and run EDP 1.9.2 and make a build. Now reboot. If you want you can also install myHack Utilties and run myFix Full mode

Cheers!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Or simply try using EDP 3.x :)

While the D430 runs SL quite good if a standard EDP setup it used, then its also important to understand that our team have not done testing with SL since Lion came out.

.. that said.. i would still try EDP 3.x.

Let's try this over:

Make your USB stick, [...]

Thank you for the very clear instructions, I will try this, third install...

EDP 3.x is not confirmed to work under Snow Leopard, so anything can happen 

I tried EDP 3.x.

Can you understand that for newbies like me it is very complicated as even the Power Users don't agree...

If you want you can also install myHack Utilties and run myFix Full mode

Why "if you want this"? Is it safe to do under any circumstances?

That's why I advised to NOT use EDP 3.x, I hope I made my instructions clear enough for you to be able to follow. It is the guide we used to use when SL was the only version of OS X that we supported on these machines. and yes I understand what you mean. I was once a newbie too it just takes determination to want to learn about Hackintosh and you'll be a pro at it in no time. Anyways... Only install myHack Utilities and run myFix IF you are having any troubles. Don't run it unless you are experiencing error.

• Like 1

You're very welcome! Enjoy your Hackintosh!

And yeah I think it's either EDP 3.x or myHack causing the problem, which is why I never make my USB installers for Snow Leopard using myHack. I do it the old fashioned way and it always works!

Cheers!

• Like 1